Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Occasional pop and/or crackle & a few split second total cut outs coming from somewhere?

Hi Guys
Ive been trying to sort this for ages now myself but I'm getting nowhere so thought I'd check with you guys on here.
I keep getting the occasional pop and/or crackle and/or multiple split second cut outs coming from somewhere on my bass rig.
It only happens about once every 30 minutes or so and its happened both in my house and at various gigs.
Sometimes it sounds like the pot is loose (its not) and produces a very short crackly sound, sometimes it sounds like its a pop or a few split second total cut-outs.

Ive tried disconnecting each and every pedal, lead and patch lead and they all play fine on their own. But put them together and every once in a while I get these problems. Ive also replaced ALL the leads recently.

My set up is as such:-

Fender P Bass(s)
AKG GB 40 guitar bug
AKG SR 40 Receiver (powered separately)
TRS lead into Boss TU-2 tuner
Patch lead into Behringer Ultra Bass Chorus
Patch lead into Ibanez PD7 Phat-Hed
Lead into amp.

All pedal are powered off the TU-2 tuner.

Then I also have an Audio Technica M3 IEM system (powered separately) and a TC Helicon E1 Voicetone vocal pedal (powered from TU-2).

Anyone else ever had problems like this or could advise a little?
It really is bugging the hell out of of me. I suspect that it may have something to do with the SR40 as when I go into the tuner directly with a lead from my bass I dont THINK I get these problems. Ive tried a new GB40 guitar bug (luckily on the same frequency) but I still get the issues, so I can assume its not the bug.

Many thanks in advance.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1401468053' post='2463968']
Have you tried jiggling the jack plug while it's plugged into your bass? Pretty much every bass I've owned has had to have the jack socket resoldered at some point!
[/quote]
yeah dude, Ive tried that. No issues there on both basses (I recently replaced one pot after 18 years from new)

Easiest way to diagnose this is to plug the bass directly into the amp as a starting off point.

If it all works fine then add the other equipment piece by piece until the problem reappears.
As soon as the pop\crackle happens you know it is related to the last thing you added to the setup.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1401469192' post='2463984']
Easiest way to diagnose this is to plug the bass directly into the amp as a starting off point.

If it all works fine then add the other equipment piece by piece until the problem reappears.
As soon as the pop\crackle happens you know it is related to the last thing you added to the setup.
[/quote]
Yes, you'd think wouldnt you. I've done all this (and more by doing each item on its own too) I still cant figure out what effecting it.
Even the wireless rig works fine on its own without any pedals etc. But put them all back together and the noises occur again.

Definitely sounds like a connection problem. Whether that is an electrical connection or a wireless connection I'm not sure. As a test, you could connect your wireless transmitter so something that makes a constant tone such as a keyboard/sampler etc (make sure you turn the source down as it will likely be a line output). Then if the is any signal monitoring on you receiver watch from drop outs and peaks.

When you test your signal path, have you tried everything in a different order? For example, doing effects before wireless? I know you wouldn't use this set up in any normal circumstance but if it is 1 piece of equipment not working with another, removing that from the chain may help identify the problem.

Hi guys
The keyboard with a constant tone would be a brilliant, but Ive now decided to give up and find an alternative solution and here's why.
I borrowed my friends entire unit wireless for my guitarist to use at a gig and he experienced very similar problems.
When he hit a heavily/loud played chord the unit made the guitar volume drop considerably.

I'm guessing these problem are why they don't make these anymore. I just cant waste anymore time on it now.

Thanks for all your help though, its much appreciated.