Why become a member? ×

genz benz shuttleMax 9.2 vs 12.2 cab help

worldshed

noobie so thanks in advance! I'm trying to decide between genz benz shuttlemax 9.2 or 12.2. I play double bass mainly in pretty loud settings. There are situations where I switch between electric bass and Double bass.... hence liking the genz benz for the 2 channels.

I currently have a burned out Eden head and 400w 4ohm 410 Eden cab.

So Im thinking the 12.2 because it will put out 600w to my 4ohm cab (which should be ok for now as long as I don't push it).

The thing is, I cant see many situations where I will need 1200w so perhaps the 9.2 is better... problem is it will put 900w into my 400w cab and I cant afford to get a new cab right now. further down the line yes... but I have gigs

Ultimately, I don't want to be carrying around 2 cabs so.... if I wanted up 900w output I could get there with one cab (so most situations I will be fine with 9.2 head and 1 cab), whereas if I wanted anything over 600w with the 12.2 I will need 2 cabs. I play everything from pubs to 1500+ cap venues and festivals.

Also... general thoughts on theses amps? read a lot of good stuff but there doesn't seem to be much info on the 12.2

I'd be the first to advise anyone to get the 12.2 as it's stunning, but, I don't think it's the amp you think it is.

It has two pre amp channels but only on input. One of the preamps is valve and one is SS. If you're happy with a setup where you're playing SS for an upright and valve for electric then it'll do everything you ever want it to and more.

With my berg cabs I find that an 8ohm 1x12 is more than enough to keep up in a loud band rehearsal.
My 4x12 full 1200W rig strikes fear in to everyone, but I've never turned the volume up above 2 as I like my internal organs where they are!

When I bought mine I was torn between the 9.2 and the 12.2, my decision was made due to the enhanced flexibility of rig I could create around the 12.2 head.

I also have the 12.2, its a ridiculous amount of amp for the money.

I run mine into 2x 8ohm 112s and it is so preposterously loud that I've never taken the master above 9 o'clock.

I very much like the notched control knobs too, gives it a nice solid feel.

[quote name='worldshed' timestamp='1401378497' post='2463022']
So Im thinking the 12.2 because it will put out 600w to my 4ohm cab (which should be ok for now as long as I don't push it).

The thing is, I cant see many situations where I will need 1200w so perhaps the 9.2 is better... [b]problem is it will put 900w into my 400w cab[/b] and I cant afford to get a new cab right now. further down the line yes... but I have gigs

Ultimately, I don't want to be carrying around 2 cabs so.... if I wanted up 900w output I could get there with one cab (so most situations I will be fine with 9.2 head and 1 cab), whereas if I wanted anything over 600w with the 12.2 I will need 2 cabs. I play everything from pubs to 1500+ cap venues and festivals.
[/quote]

Sorry, but I don't understand what you're expressing here. From the look of it, it seems to me you're slighly confused, but it may also be that your thinking is too advanced for me.

However, the highlighted part of the quote seems to indicate there is a misunderstanding here. The amp will not put 900W into your cab. Watt is not Voltage. The volume knob decides how many Watt the amp puts into the cab.
If you have managed with the 400W cab upto now, then you will continue to manage also with a different amp. You just don't turn the volume knob totally to max.

I thought it better to write this than to not write it, but as I expressed, I'm confused as to what you are writing.