Why become a member? ×

Modern American Music..Period!

visog

So I just got my copy... Nice package... well done. Obviously funded by a certain Metallica bass player and Jaco fan: Robert Trujillo.

Not a cheap knock-off like some of the later New York recordings - a quality product produced in conjunction with the Pastorius estate.

Not breaking too much new ground... it's the early demo's for his debut solo album. I'd say it's one for the Jaco fans & completists for the new photos, packing and new takes.

Continuum and Havona are demo's but clearly he's played them for some time as he's fooling with the melodies and fills.

Overall the sound quality is pretty good but with a lot of hiss... dolby not being around in '74. (But I was never a fan of noise reduction anyway as it sucked out the high-end..)

Tread carefully though... it;s pretty full-on and by that I mean Jaco is absolutely shredding on every tune, many of which are pretty hard jazz. Weather Report it is not.

Most of the tunes are a deadly 16/32nd note groove with some pretty wild electric piano over the top. In fact one of the tunes, 'Balloon Song' ends up sounding very like Yes' 'Gates of Delirium'!

He was 22 at the time of this recording and it's all here: groove for days, accurate super-fast phrasing, woody mid-range tone and harmonic chords chiming everywhere.

visog