Why become a member? ×

Zenta Bass Guitars

Kevstein

Hi all,

I was just wondering what like the make Zenta is? I have seen a bass from the 60s made by Zenta that i thought looked really cool but i have no experience with them whatsoever.

Just wondered what you think of this make? Is it a cheap, poor quality make? Anyone got any experience using a 'Zenta'?

Cheers in advance.

Hi - like most of the brands you see on old 60s & 70s cheapos, it's not a "make" at all, just a brand name chosen by the importer/distributor. In this instance the distributor was John Hornby Skewes Ltd, from Leeds.

Without seeing the bass I can't tell you definitively whether it's junk or not, however Zenta was JHS' low-end starter range, so quality is unlikely to be great. However, like all of these brands, there was a price/quality range and the dearer Zentas will have been better instruments than the rock-bottom ones.

Any chance you can show a pic or two? It might be possible to tell whether it's Korean/Taiwanese (very ropey quality back then) or MIJ (generall more likely to be useable).

These old instruments can have a sort of kitschy collectability, and if you are lucky enough to get a decent one (quality control was pretty much non-existent) it might be fun & sound interesting. Whatever you do, don't pay much - these don't have any real value as such so around £50-£60 should be the ballpark.

Jon.

I've had one of the Gibson EB0 style ones.

Quite a nice looking thing, but had a neck like a baseball bat and sorting the action out to something nice to play would have taken more setup skill than I had at the time.

The electrics were all hopeless on it so I replaced the pickup with a closed top guitar humbucker, and made up a new loom for it.

I ended up giving it to my GF's son who loves SGs and wanted a bass - but he got bored of it fairly quickly after he got given a Squier Jazz which was much easier to play.

One day I'd like to dig it out again and see if I can sort it out properly...
[URL=http://s10.photobucket.com/user/scrapperstoo/media/guitars/juan_lauda_zps12915777.jpg.html][IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/scrapperstoo/guitars/juan_lauda_zps12915777.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Ill give it a miss then. It looks cool, but i assumed it wouldnt be worth it. Asking price is £120. Im not one for buying a guitar for looks but just thought it would be a nice toy to add to the collection. Ill just put it towards the bass i was planning on buying originally.

Cheers for the advice mate.