Why become a member? ×

Volume

I use a Barefaced super 12T , I also have a MarkBass Mo Mark 250 (250watts) & a Little Mark Rocker (500Watts) . just out of interest with either of them on exactly the same volume setting they both give out the same volume . How does that work ?

Volume controls are logarithmic so the first steps have a much greater affect on "Volume" than the later steps. I guess that would mean in the initial stages of 2 different amplifiers, both are closer than they would be towards the end of the taper. The taper on the pot and the efficiency of the amp can also be a factor on the signal leaving the amplifier.

Another thing to consider is your definition of "Volume". I think your referring to "perceived loudness" which is a whole other ball game.

But yes I agree, you wouldn't expect 2 amplifiers by the same manufacturer to sound the same given the identical settings and different wattage.

Effectively what Dave (above) has said. Slightly different tapers on the volume pots would account or it. PLUS ..... 250 to 500 watts isn't really that much of a difference in perceived volume.
My question would be .....does the 500W amp continue to get louder at the same rate as the 25oW one as you turn the master volume up ? I would expect the 500W to "keep going" when the 250 Watter runs out of steam.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Davebassics' timestamp='1399904155' post='2448794']
Does your 500W get hotter/Drive the fans more? Anything that isn't converted to compressed/decompressed air is wasted wattage.
[/quote]

Wasted wattage? I disagree. Just unused in a particular situation.There's no such thing as wasted when it comes to headroom :)