Why become a member? ×

The Two Slap Bass RH Techniques

Ok, here's something that'll probably divide opinion:

I'm pretty much self-taught when it comes to slap...I'm not great but I can grove it (I can jam out most Flea lines, and Rio Funk's no problem).

I've watched some technique vids on t'interweb where the slapper smacks thru the string and ends up resting their thumb on the string below...aka slap the E, thumb ends up on the A.

This differs from my technique as I use my thumb like a hammer, and bounce it off the string to get the slap. If I try the other method, it just ends up sounding like I'm strumming the string with my thumb, and I get all tangled up. No crisp slap at all!

So, what do you guys do, why can't I do both, and am I a complete numpty?

(and before you ask: No, I'm not a gratuitous slapper, no, I don't slap in every song regardless of whether it needs it or not, no I don't slap in music shops! This is purely for my own bass based futherment. Read [topic="23428"]this topic[/topic] if you want further explaination!)

Putting your thumb "through" the string is basically double thumbing technique (exemplified by Victor Wooten, amongst others). It doesn't really work without the upstroke IMO, and does give a very different feel to the line- its not just a different motion for the same slap. Personally I prefer double thumbing but thats just cos I've practiced it more; it does take a bit of practice to get it sounding like "traditional" slap. As with most things, there's no better or worse here, just whatever suits you and your playing :)