Why become a member? ×

Warwick Streamer I eating batteries

Hi,
Anyone got any advice on my recently acquired Stage I '94 Streamer, with Bartolinis, 18V electronics and a hunger for batteries? The two new ones lasted for about two hours, and the jack lead was removed as soon as I stopped playing. Anyone got any advice (I'm okay with a soldering iron and component swap if require) or recommendations for a repair centre - I'm in Birmingham.
Thanks folks,
Regards,
Phil

Never come across that one before... sounds daft but you are sure that the batteries installed were new? Has the wiring been tampered with i.e. unfactory like soldering?

When you say the batteries last 2 hours do you know for sure they would be dead after 2 hours use (from fresh) or did you leave it (unplugged) for a few days/weeks then went back to find it dead? It's still not right either way but it might help someone else diagnose it for you.

Guys,

Thanks for the info - the two batteries were bought brand new and installed just as I bought the bass, and the previous owner did say that it was heavy on batteries. I've used it on and off over two weeks, probably for a cumulative total of two hours maximum, and always removed the lead when finished (been there before!). I then took my new pride and joy to a band rehearsal, plugged in and............nothing. Switched to passive, and used that for the evening.

I'll check out the wiring and soldering soon, but I was hoping it was a known fault with a quick fix. Oh well. Thanks again folks, and any other thoughts, opinions or experiences will be most gratefully received and checked out.

Also, any recommended Warwick repair people in Birmingham?

Regards,

Phil

[quote name='ALFIE NOAKES 900' post='240430' date='Jul 15 2008, 10:20 PM']Guys,

Thanks for the info - the two batteries were bought brand new and installed just as I bought the bass, and the previous owner did say that it was heavy on batteries. I've used it on and off over two weeks, probably for a cumulative total of two hours maximum, and always removed the lead when finished (been there before!). I then took my new pride and joy to a band rehearsal, plugged in and............nothing. Switched to passive, and used that for the evening.

I'll check out the wiring and soldering soon, but I was hoping it was a known fault with a quick fix. Oh well. Thanks again folks, and any other thoughts, opinions or experiences will be most gratefully received and checked out.

Regards,

Phil[/quote]

Don't worry about finding a 'Warwick' specific repairer, it'll be a generic electrical/wiring fault; which at worst will be a fecked preamp and/or pups. Any guitar repair shop should be able to deal with it. As for a quick fix... I've not heard of a fault that would cause such a battery drain in such a short time yet still sound OK when it was in (powered) use.

[quote name='ALFIE NOAKES 900' post='240430' date='Jul 15 2008, 10:20 PM']Guys,

Regards,

Phil[/quote]
ah over a 2 week period, then my initial response would still be a jack fault (albeit a slow one) the power should onyl be 'on' when the lead is in completing the circuit so its bridging somewhere.
hopefully won't cost to much to get sorted.

• 1 month later...

Guys,

Many thanks for the advice. One new Switchcraft jack socket and a bit of fiddly soldering later, and it is a mended guitar with a normal appetite for batteries, rather than a serious habit for them.

(Anyone else with a battery hungry Warwick please take note)

Thanks again.