Why become a member? ×

Feedback for Roger

blunderthumbs

• 3 years later...

BUYER BEWARE!

It pains me to have to write this but I'm afraid to say that my dealings with this seller were rather negative.

I bought a 75RI Jazz Bass from him recently. I specifically asked him whether there were any structural, functional or electronic issues with the bass. He replied that "apart from a minor ding on the bottom, it's pretty much mint".

This was not the case. When I got round to unpacking the bass a few days after it arrived, which I documented on video, I found the following significant defects:

• The jack socket wasn't functioning properly and crackled and cut out.

• The tone knob wasn't functioning.

• The front pickup has a noticeably weak output.

• The adjusting nuts on the bridge were so heavily corroded that it was impossible to fit the Allen key in. The springs and saddle screws were also so rusted that they needed replacing.

I took the bass to Jon Shuker to get him to verify the defects and get a quote to fix them.

He was able to fix the wiring problem. He had to replace the jack socket and the rusted bridge parts.

I asked the seller if he could refund me the costs for the replacement parts and the cost to fix the problems involved in putting the bass into the condition it was supposed to be in when I bought it. The seller refused.

I pointed out that I was not asking him to pay for my setup costs as I expected to have to pay to get the bass set up to my preference. I was asking him to pay the portion of the costs required to put the bass into a condition in which it was POSSIBLE to carry out a setup.

I pointed out that these costs would be fairly small (jack socket and replacement bridge parts) and that the cost to fix the wiring might even be absorbed into the general setup costs, which I'd be paying. Again he refused.

He went on to suggest that "there seems to be something fishy about all of this" and that "rest assured, there'll be no payment from me".

I wrote back asking what more evidence he needed to see in order to dispel the misconception. I offered to send him the video footage of my unpacking the bass and to forward the email chain of the conversation I had with Jon Shuker regarding the bass. He hasn't replied in over a week.

I tried to maintain an open and civil dialogue to sort out the problem privately but he refused to correspond. I have given him every chance to rectify his mistake.

After exhausting all other channels, I have contacted the moderators and it is with their blessing that I am leaving this feedback.

I certainly won't be dealing with this seller ever again. I'll leave it up to you whether you decide to trade with him or not. I would strongly advise you not to buy via post but to check out any item he's selling in person and make sure you're 100% happy with its condition before handing over any money.

I'm not going to engage in a flame war here.

If anyone requires any further information then send me a private message.

tl:dr

Item not as described. Seller refused partial refund to fix problems and ignored communication.

Buy at your own risk.

Don't buy via post. Deal in person.