Why become a member? ×

Practise amp suggestion please

KennysFord

With the recent and untimely demise of my Ashdown mini rig i now need a practise amp for home use and something that might double up as a portable rehearsal amp.Ive noticed there's a bigger 60 watt version of the stagg combo out,does anyone know if they're any good or not or do i avoid it like the plague.Im on a very limited budget £150 max........any ideas for a suitable replacement.
I tried a roland cube,not me,dont fancy a line6,peavey,marshall or fender.I would be happy to buy used then my money will go theat bit further.

my other option is to build an omni 10.5 use my LMk ll but with 3 cats,3 dogs, one of which is a 6 month old pup and sharing my amp space with the 12 year olds drum kit i'm a bit........worried
Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by kennyrodg

I'd have another look at the small Line6 bass amps. I know you say you don't like them but I saw a soul/funk band in a club where the bassist used one. His tone was superb.

My personal favourites are the small Warwick range. I can't remember what they're called but I really like the tone. They might not be loud enough for rehearsals though, depending on what kind of band you play in.

Cheers Funk,
I use the LMk for rehearsals,luckily we have a dedicated "band"room in our percussionists warehouse and my cabs live there.I'm scouting for another band tho',something a bit more funky,so ideally im looking for something that would double up if i have to go elsewhere for a jam/audition.Thanks for the suggestion though,i'll give the Line 6 another look see. :huh:
You dont happen to know which Line6 he was using ?? thought about the warwick but they're a bit f'ugly man hehe

Budget bassist,
Tbh they look cool and very retro but i wouldnt have another.The tone is erm ...........boring. :)

Before your last comment, (see below), I was also going to say "Have a look at the Warwick Blue Cab 60". I was also going to say look at the Ashdown 5-15. I went through the same research about 8 months ago and my budget & requirements were similar to yours, i.e good for home practise and maybe a casual jam for less than £135. Various circumstances forced an internet buy without hearing it beforehand.

Both are carpeted, and have similar power. The Ashdown has a 15" instead of a 12 in the Warwick. Wattage difference probably not of any great significance. The Warwick has an effects send/return and is probably easier to pick up because of it's shape & weight. The Ashdown is a more awkward cube shape & is VERY heavy, probably 6Kg heavier than the Warwick. It's 2 handed job to lift it and the top handle won't last for long if you plan on lifting it a lot. I've seen the smaller and lighter Ashdown Perfect 10 in a "Cash-converter" shop and even that had a broken handle.
Don't take any notice of the Ashdown web-site where their practice amps are concerned. The pictures and the specsheets are all out of date - they were out of date back in November - and they still haven't updated them. The power is 100 watts, not 65, the front grille is a strong black metal grid, not silvery-grey as in the pics and current spec includes a CD input jack for playing along to recordings. The 5-15 has an extension speaker-out socket and the Warwick a Line-out. Both have headphone sockets for silent practise (or is that practice?).

In the end I bought my Ashdown from RockingRooster - hey, aren't they near you. Prompt delivery, no problem, but getting a proper paper receipt out of them is a pain. My choice came down to the larger 15" speaker ( I prefer boomph to bap), the little chance that I would have to tote it around much and hell, they're English.

Another late thought: Prices have dropped even further, so how about blowing the full budget on an Ashdown Electric BLue 180. It has even more features & power than the other 2 above. However, it might lack a headphone socket. £149.99 from RockingRooster this morning. When I looked last November these were about £190!

Happy shopping.

[i]I use the LMk for rehearsals,luckily we have a dedicated "band"room in our percussionists warehouse and my cabs live there.I'm scouting for another band tho',something a bit more funky,so ideally im looking for something that would double up if i have to go elsewhere for a jam/audition.Thanks for the suggestion though,i'll give the Line 6 another look see. ;)
You dont happen to know which Line6 he was using ?? thought about the warwick but they're a bit f'ugly man hehe

Tbh they look cool and very retro but i wouldnt have another.The tone is erm ...........boring. :D
[/quote][/i]

kennyrodg - I've got a Laney R2 120w combo like [url="http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.guitarshop.net/laney/r2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.guitarshop.net/laneyr2.htm&h=480&w=640&sz=108&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=0MdT4sDTYLciQM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlaney%2Br2%2Bcombo%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox%26sa%3DN"]this one[/url] which I'm not using, if you're interested. £75 and it's yours. It's got a 12" and is a wedge style kickback design. Bought it a couple of years ago when I needed an amp for rehearsals but no longer need it. Just had it serviced to remove some crackles from the pots, so it now works a treat.

PM me if you're interested.