Why become a member? ×

ESP LTD Vintage 214 Fretless Bass Guitar...customisation?

Scott S

This would be my first foray into into fretless territory so I'm hoping for some basschat advice.

I came across this cheapy-but-goody on another thread; £283 from Gear4music.com and looking like an absolute bargain! Obviously it's sold at such a eye catching price for good reason...it ain't no Tony Franklin Precision.

But what if a good (albeit cheap) bass could be made even better? Do any of you peeps have suggestions for customisation, be it bridge, tuners, pups or even an ebony fingerboard (I do love ebony, lol)? Would any potential costs be worth the effort or would it be better to just look for another fretless bass at a higher price?

Cheers.

I've had the fretted 'relic' ESP LTD 204, which I picked up really cheaply on eBay (£140) a few years ago. After putting on my choice of strings and setting it up, I felt it didn't need any upgrades as the pickups gave me the sounds I'd expect from a PJ. Neck felt good and it was solidly put together. You may find you don't need to do anything to it.

I'd certainly pay that for one - it's only £40 more than the recent Squier VM PJ basses (I had one in sunburst) and as nice as the Squier was, the ESP felt like a more expensive instrument to me. Of course if you do find that parts are lacking, you've still got a great platform for modifications.

This was mine:

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1396902594' post='2418652']
I'd certainly pay that for one - it's only £40 more than the recent Squier VM PJ basses (I had one in sunburst) and as nice as the Squier was, the ESP felt like a more expensive instrument to me. Of course if you do find that parts are lacking, you've still got a great platform for modifications.

This was mine:

[/quote]

That's a tidy looking bass alright. Yeah, come pay day I'm going to treat myself to the fretless. What I save on with the money I'll lose out on with my painfully dodgy intonation. Mrs S isn't going to be happy, lol. :ph34r:

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1396902594' post='2418652']

This was mine:

[/quote]
I have the relic version of that. Longest i have kept a bass for a long time.

Aye, mine was the relic version too - quite tastefully done I felt, with the 'wear' in the right places and not just looking like someone attacked it with a sander. Sadly for me, it was one of those 'didn't have the money for it, but couldn't resist at the price but ultimately had to move it on' affairs. A pity, as it just felt right and sounded great. Even at full price, these basses are bargains!