Why become a member? ×

Weird String Response... HELP!!!

MananaMan

Hi,

I have a Gibson Victory Bass Standard (1981)

I bought the bass last year, fully intending to use it as my main bass. However, there's a bit of a weird problem that I've never encountered before...

When playing the A string, the output of the string is much lower when played on a downstroke rather than an upstroke, roughly half as loud... As I use a plectrum, this is much more of a problem than the guy I bought it from would have had as I believe he used his fingers rather than a plectrum.

At the moment, this is making the bass almost totally unplayable in a live situation, so I'm stumped!

I've stripped the bass and rebuilt it electrically, I can't find any problems with the wiring and when played on the upstroke there's no problem with the string's output... What is causing this problem?!?!?!

That's quite odd!
The Victory is the one with the slanted pick-ups, right?

Could it be a duff string behaving strangely?

I'm no expert on plectrum technique (as a fingerstyle player) but I'd have expected the downstroke to be stronger if it were a technique issue.

So... Could it be a string / polepiece alignment issue? That would cause a stronger output in one direction than the other...

Otherwise, I Dunno! I'm clutching at straws, but I hope this helps, even if only a bit!

Alex