Why become a member? ×

Has anyone else experienced this??

ken_white

[i]The only sure way to do it is for you to take charge of the band by thinking through how YOU want to do it .....Start with song selections, then look at what instruments you need to do these songs,(remember the bigger the band, the more difficult it is to manage.) Organise weekly rehearsals...but not as a place to learn songs... songs should be learnt at home. Its better to cancel a rehearsal if one or two people have not learnt stuff , rather than teach them what you put hours into at home. This will create a 'passenger' environment which is a real cheeser. The worst thing you can do in a band is give 4 or 5 band members 'choice'. All you get is different opinions, song choices, preferences etc. Democracy is ok up to a point.... Imagine if 4 or 5 people tried to write a book, or drive a car at the same time.....control is everything. Put a plan together, and when you are happy with it, ask people to join you in putting YOUR plan into action. Its not about being in charge, or The Boss...Its just a case of putting a structure together before you all get together for the first time. More often than not, you will find people would much sooner work to a plan than aimlessly muck about in the dark. If all band members learnt 3 or four songs before a rehearsal each week, you would have your set in a couple of months. Bands can be one of the most fantastic things to be involved with, but remember, the door swings both ways.... Your job must be too limit this two way swing. Have fun...and remember , this can be done, just think everything thru first.[/i]

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1396306322' post='2412239']
[i]The only sure way to do it is for you to take charge of the band by thinking through how YOU want to do it .....Start with song selections, then look at what instruments you need to do these songs,(remember the bigger the band, the more difficult it is to manage.) Organise weekly rehearsals...but not as a place to learn songs... songs should be learnt at home. Its better to cancel a rehearsal if one or two people have not learnt stuff , rather than teach them what you put hours into at home. This will create a 'passenger' environment which is a real cheeser. The worst thing you can do in a band is give 4 or 5 band members 'choice'. All you get is different opinions, song choices, preferences etc. Democracy is ok up to a point.... Imagine if 4 or 5 people tried to write a book, or drive a car at the same time.....control is everything. Put a plan together, and when you are happy with it, ask people to join you in putting YOUR plan into action. Its not about being in charge, or The Boss...Its just a case of putting a structure together before you all get together for the first time. More often than not, you will find people would much sooner work to a plan than aimlessly muck about in the dark. If all band members learnt 3 or four songs before a rehearsal each week, you would have your set in a couple of months. Bands can be one of the most fantastic things to be involved with, but remember, the door swings both ways.... Your job must be too limit this two way swing. Have fun...and remember , this can be done, just think everything thru first.[/i]
[/quote]

That's some great advice right there.. Certainly gives not only me but everyone something to think about :-)

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1396385734' post='2413082']
[b]You are more than welcome Ken. Keep me posted on your progress. [/b]
[/quote]

I'll keep you updated, just working on their tracks at the moment, although they are talking about another meeting sometime soon :-) best get learning (There's nothing better I could be doing right..)

One final thing to think about.....As with most things in life, it must include all 3 of the following... It must be Challenging..( You learn something from it, and it stretches you.) It must be achievable..( what's the point in starting something if you know you will never complete it.) It must be rewarding.... ( you must see a benefit when you have finished.) C.A.R. Seems to apply pretty well to being in a band eh...

[quote name='ken_white' timestamp='1395793895' post='2406511']
I've been in a band with my brother since I started playing bass about eight years ago. It was my first band and that was the reason for me picking up a bass..
For the past year or more, I lost the inspiration to pick up my bass outside of band practice every tuesday, the main reason being we ended up going round in circles, drop tracks, and then end up playing them anyway, we'd make lists of new covers to learn, but I was the only person that ended up learning them, then we never done them anyway and it all became very frustrating. Then there's the usual band brother arguments and it seems to of ended up that I can't make any constructive criticism in the band with out it ending with us falling out..

This has happened again in the past couple of weeks, except this time I've left the band..

Now I'm struggling to inspire myself to pick it up again and debating selling my gear and giving up. BUT it almost feels like I'm cutting my arm off, it's become a big part of me I really don't want to loose..

One option I thought of, is sell it, and buy different gear?
Another option is start a better band?
Join an existing band is another option?
Or just give up and keep the money in the bank...

Just thought I'd put this out there and see if anyone has been through the same, what did you do to recreate the spark and passion?

Sorry if I'm wittering on :-)
[/quote]

Bands are temporary, the way I see it. Some just last a lot longer than others... It sounds to me like the love for playing music is still there... I would try to join an existing band. Starting one can be very satisfying, but it's hard hard work and it will take a long time to give fruit. I'd start by joining another band. Even two. And not being afraid to walk if they turn out to not be to my taste, and look for something else... until you find something you really like. Then... enjoy it while it lasts. It could be 2 months, 2 years, or 20! ;)