Why become a member? ×

Warwick Nobby Lead Guitar

Dubs

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Lead-Nobby-Meidel-No-8-of-30-In-The-World_W0QQitemZ130236946735QQihZ003QQcategoryZ118985QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Lead-Nobby-M...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

This is a first on me - a one time special run of 30 guitar versions of the headless Warwick Nobby bass (the first Warwick from what i gather).

...where's Warwickhunt when you need him? :)

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='236834' date='Jul 10 2008, 07:56 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Lead-Nobby-Meidel-No-8-of-30-In-The-World_W0QQitemZ130236946735QQihZ003QQcategoryZ118985QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Lead-Nobby-M...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

This is a first on me - a one time special run of 30 guitar versions of the headless Warwick Nobby bass (the first Warwick from what i gather).

...where's Warwickhunt when you need him? :huh:[/quote]

Did someone call :)

The Nobby's are/were some of the earliest and limited but oddly enough the bass version appears on eBay with surprising regularity... it's either a handful of duff basses that keep doing the rounds or owners never hold onto them. I've seen the basses selling for less than a grand.

I've not seen the guitar version that often (nor have I studied it) though I do recall a while back someone questioning if the couple that have been noted are cut down basses! The pup mounts look like they could be hiding a cavity routed for bass pups but I'd really not like to say what the real story is. I suppose the scale length and fret spacing would easily identify if this were originally made as a guitar! Letters of authenticity from a music shop or HPW are so easily faked/typed up that I'd be reluctant to take that as the only form of provenance.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='237088' date='Jul 11 2008, 09:26 AM']Did someone call :)

The Nobby's are/were some of the earliest and limited but oddly enough the bass version appears on eBay with surprising regularity... it's either a handful of duff basses that keep doing the rounds or owners never hold onto them. I've seen the basses selling for less than a grand.[/quote]

I've tried a couple of Nobby basses. They actually sound very Warwick-like, which I guess shouldn't have surprised me, but did anyway!! The thing that put me off was the feel. They really don't sit very well at all. I've got a real Steinberger L2, and while I never made a side-by-side comparison, I feel comfortable saying there's really no comparison between the two as to how the feel strapped on.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='237088' date='Jul 11 2008, 09:26 AM']I've not seen the guitar version that often (nor have I studied it) though I do recall a while back someone questioning if the couple that have been noted are cut down basses! The pup mounts look like they could be hiding a cavity routed for bass pups but I'd really not like to say what the real story is. I suppose the scale length and fret spacing would easily identify if this were originally made as a guitar! Letters of authenticity from a music shop or HPW are so easily faked/typed up that I'd be reluctant to take that as the only form of provenance.[/quote]

I was thinking much the same. Still, there are these rarities around (for example, the early Status/Strata guitars), and since the guitar buying public is much larger than the bass-buying one, it would make sense to at least makes some prototypes to see if they'd sell.

[quote name='finnbass' post='237182' date='Jul 11 2008, 11:33 AM']I love Warwicks, but that design is an abomination.

It's going to stand on it's own tuners.... :)

What genius thought of that?[/quote]

It does come with a centre-pin fitting for a stand but I agree that I'm not a huge fan of the design. Must say that the re-released version looks tastier.

I've often wondered whether (like the Streamer shape) it was licenced from N Steinberger!