Why become a member? ×

Fitting a bullet-style truss rod nut

Jono Bolton

First off, apologies if this is in the wrong section. I've got a standard MIM Precision and the thing I hate most about it is the headstock-end truss rod access hole with the black plastic sleeve. What I'd really like to do is have the sleeve taken out, and the TR nut replaced with a bullet-style nut that sticks out beyond the end of the fingerboard. This would give me the aesthetics I want, and also better access to the nut for adjusting the neck if needs be.

I've done some research and Fender sell replacement nuts with a 10-32 thread, as found on the MIM truss rod. The kicker is, after speaking to Fender, they've said that even though it's the right thread, the nut isn't compatible with bass's TR, although they couldn't explain to me why. I've seen guitars and basses that have had these nuts fitted, there's a Squier VM for sale on here that has had one added, so can anyone tell me if:

i- the nut actually will fit, despite what Fender say, or,
ii- if there are any alternative makers that do one that would fit, or,
iii- if someone is able to manufacture a one off or modify an existing one that will fit?

A lot of text for a pretty straight forward question, sorry, but can anyone help me out?

Cheers!

I don't think this will work.

Here's the thing. Whilst the thread IS the same, there is a black sleeve on the MIM which gets in the way:

In this picture the original Truss Rod Nut is in the end of the neck, on the left is a MIA Nut, on the right a Stewmac Bullet Nut, neither will fit in the hole because of the black sheath in the truss rod end hole.

You might be able to remove the sheath, but I do not know if this will impact how the truss rod works. It may be using the sheath / liner as an integral part of the tensioning for the rod and removing it may just mean your screwing the nut on to the end of a very large bolt without actualy applying any tension.

Maybe someone on here knows more about that.

personally I would leave it.

EDIT: Also, apparently the rods on bullet style necks are slightly longer so the nut protrudes. So you may find that after removing the black sheath and possibly a bit more irreversible work that the bullet nut deos work, but it is hidden from view just like the regular one. Essentially it is just a regular one with rounded ends - as you can probably see in the pic.

Edited by brensabre79