Why become a member? ×

Help dating/valuing this TE combo

OrsomeWells

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out in dating/valuing this TE combo:
[url="http://imgur.com/a/jv1hU#NIJO8Dd"]http://imgur.com/a/jv1hU#NIJO8Dd[/url]

The previous owner split it into a head and combo and then bolted it back together, hence the DIY job on the sides :rolleyes:

Due to the condition I appreciate it won't be worth too much but I'd like to get a ballpark so I can move it on and get a lightweight combo!

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't like to put a value on it but I'd guess it was from '00-'02 as they moved from green furry to leatherette around that time plus it's the generation after the SMX series with a few extra bells and whistles.. It won't be any later as trace was under Gibson at the time and shut production down around '02 until Peavey revived the brand in 2005..

Seems fair, I appreciate that it's cosmetic condition goes against it somewhat however, if we consider what we have in parts then it'd represent good value..

A decent 15" Celestion Speaker in a suitably tuned enclosure..
The highly flexible 12 band pre-amp with valve stage and compressor..
Pokey 300 watt power stage..
And a glowing front panel of course..

It's certainly in an unattractive state. You have to wonder why the butchery was done?

TE combos always seem to go for peanuts, considering their performance - of course, it's the weight that's the killer for them compared with the competition these days. I loved my old 1210 4x10 combo, but it made a baby elephant look light, and I never looked back once I moved to my current lightweight rig.

It's possible that this might be worth more if you sold it as a standalone head. Now, I believe that in my loft I might have a TE produced sleeve for the amp part of my combo, which I was given when I bought it second hand. Happy to give it away if my postage costs are covered. That would give you a marketable head, I think - interested?

And, thinking about it, if you did that, and then slightly refinished the top of the speaker section, you might well get something for that. I'm sure that, with a little effort, the two halves would fetch rather more than the whole.

Edited by Alec

[quote name='Alec' timestamp='1393864278' post='2385193']
It's certainly in an unattractive state. You have to wonder why the butchery was done?

TE combos always seem to go for peanuts, considering their performance - of course, it's the weight that's the killer for them compared with the competition these days. I loved my old 1210 4x10 combo, but it made a baby elephant look light, and I never looked back once I moved to my current lightweight rig.

It's possible that this might be worth more if you sold it as a standalone head. Now, I believe that in my loft I might have a TE produced sleeve for the amp part of my combo, which I was given when I bought it second hand. Happy to give it away if my postage costs are covered. That would give you a marketable head, I think - interested?

And, thinking about it, if you did that, and then slightly refinished the top of the speaker section, you might well get something for that. I'm sure that, with a little effort, the two halves would fetch rather more than the whole.
[/quote]

I'd say that is an extremely good idea, and a very kind offer. Gives me faith in Basschatters.

Cheers

Geoff