Why become a member? ×

Wilko Johnson

Bassmonkey

I was so stoked to hear this news earlier - I had tickets to see the great man in Belfast recently, but it was cancelled due to ill health. Here's to a full recovery and a return to what he loves doing most.

Now for my NWR story - don't worry, it's on topic! Some years ago, Wilko's R&B trio were playing in a tiny venue in Belfast. The gig was on the 1st floor, so we were queuing on the stairs before the doors opened, chatting about the impending show. I had heard that NWR was playing with Wilko, and was raving about him to my pal. Just then, a voice in my ear says "Aw, thanks very much mate!". I turn around to see the man himself right behind me, bass guitar case in hand and grinning from ear to ear. Apparently, he'd heard me drop his name, and had been standing there for a few minutes listening in :) We chatted for a few minutes, then went into the venue to enjoy one of the finest gigs I'd ever experienced - top bloke!