Why become a member? ×

New build - bitsa this and a bit a that

Thunderpaws

So, I bult my own from scratch previously, but kinda stuffed up the neck around the volute area and the fret board when I was filing the fret ends. I have been a busy busy person since all that but have rekindled the flame, so am going to build a new bass.

Aim is to make it all original but will start off using a Squier neck until I have enough time to do that justice myself.

Neck - Squier P. Seems ok, nice piece of rosewood on the fretboard. Nut is a little rough so will see how that goes towards the end of the build.

Body - Will be made from South American Mahogany that I found drifting about the workshop. 3 piece. I will hopefully find something nice to cap it and bind the edges. Want something with an interesting grain that'll take a nice trans finish.

Hardware: Badass 2 Bridge. Hipshot tuners. Wizard overwound PJ pups. Schaler locking strap buttons.

Knobs: Volume, Tone, blend. I have wired this up already.

Strings: Going to give flatwounds a shot. Think they might work well with the overwound P pup.

Aesthetics: Thinking something loosely based around an early Tele bass but with a twist of some sort.

The last body I made was freeking heavy, but a lovely shape, which I will try and reproduce.

Cheery bye.