Why become a member? ×

Ibanez ATK 300 wiring issue

floFC

Hi,

I have just picked up an Ibanez ATK300 made in Japan in 1994. It is cosmeticaly superb but a couple of issues sound wise: crackling at the jack and a hum when the switch is in the middle position.
I had a look at the wiring, and sure enough there are a couple of disconnected wires: the ground cable from the bridge is not connected to the jack, and there is a mysterious cable (thin, black) coming out of the pickup cavity which is not connected to anything. I have checked the wiring diagram at Ibanez (http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams) and they do not show such a wire! Only a big fat cable with red, green, white, black + shield wires. I have this + the extra mysterious black wire.
Does anyone know where the extra black cable coming out of the pickup cavity should be connected?

Thanks ahpook, yes it is a really nice bass, and it makes good sound as it is :D . The serial number suggests it was made in 94, but I was looking at the diagram for 95, I assume that is what I have.
I have found a picture of someone else's control cavity, and the wire seems to connect somewhere on the PCB for the switch selector in the top right corner, but the layout of that bit on my bass is different.
That's the picture I found: http://s413.photobucket.com/user/rude_mechanical/media/Ibanez%20ATK300/PB170097.jpg.html

I think ahpook is correct it is a Ground, but to find out where it lives on the PCB board's
I would guess that it would be a Black wire that goes to the Switch Board.

Pickup Cable (Gray) and Ground (Black) coming from the Pickups Area.. then all go to the Switch,

Look at the soilder joins and see if some thing is attach, if some thing is missing then that MIGHT be it but keep looking, with hope only one thing would be missing.

So, I did as you guys suggested, and the hum goes away when I connect the ground wire from the bridge to the ground on the jack (as per the Ibanez diagram). yay!
And there seems to be the remnants of a wire soldered to the switch PCB, where the other 2 grounds from the pickup are connected (black+shield). So I'll solder the mysterious back wire to that.
All sorted, thanks a lot ahpook and AngelLaHash