Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Pibass - any users here?

Guest Jecklin

Guest Jecklin

Apologies if this is already a live topic, but I couldn't find anything in the search other than a few mentions in posts.

The Pibass has piqued my interest.
I'm soon to be in the market for a new amp as I'll be playing bass live again rather than just writing and was looking for something small and affordable without too many surplus (to me) features.

The pibass seems ideal, but would love some comments from real world users.

My musical context may be rather different to most here, so certain criticisms may not be relevant.

I primarily play electro-acoustic music - bass guitar as the only amplified instrument with woodwinds and brass and gentle percussion through a DIY 8 inch speaker ( may acquire a 12" box for other uses as I also amplify my main instrument which is the contrabassoon, in other groupings).

I have an amp that does the job for now (a crate power block of all things), but this can break up a little too early so am looking to replace this eventually.

The 8ohm max load thing isn't too much of a worry as all I want is an ultra portable set up so would never be lugging more than one cab with me.

Cheers
Thomas

I own an Ashdown MiBass 550 which is a similar small, powerfull, digital, Ashdown head. It's very portable and pretty loud. So far it's been very reliable.

Ashdown also sell compact, light, 10 inch and 12 inch cabs which may be be just what you need. There were a couple for sale on basschat recently for around £160 secondhand.

Guest Jecklin

Cheers gjones.

A second hand mi12 was what I was thinking about, but I would only need that if I branch out.
In my current group I'm cutting bass believe it or not, so the 8incher is fine.

I was considering the mibass 2.0, but it's more than I want to spend really hence why the pibass was so tempting.

Edited by Jecklin