Why become a member? ×

Incoming The Farida FJB-20/6

Prosebass

Since stopping making basses and going back to a 'proper' job the bass playing has been neglected.
Add to this a new interest in percussion through Mrs Prosebass being involved in Samba bands and the recent purchase of a Wavedrum Global the bass playing had almost died a death. But inspiration was on hand in the way of Marta Altesa. Check her out on Youtube. So out came my Cort fretless only to find I was rusty with my intonation all over the show. As we all know a fresh bass is what is needed in these circumstances (and one with frets for a change) so I nipped up to Bagsieblues (Martyn) last night to pick this up.

[attachment=153807:IMG_1586.JPG] [attachment=153808:IMG_1587.JPG] [attachment=153809:IMG_1589.JPG]

This is a FJB-20 body in swamp ash (3 piece) with a KiOgon wiring loom for series switching of the pickups.
Maple neck is from a FPB-18 with a Rosewood board. Nice touches are the gold logo under the lacquer and the neck plate.
Plays and sounds as you would expect a jazz, from full blooded to a Jaco honk although I think a standard rather than high mass bridge would help the 'Jazz' vibe more.
Workmanship and finish is excellent but it is a tad heavy with all that swamp ash....
Thanks Martyn. :)

Edited by Prosebass

Glad you like it Paul - good solid bass isn't it.

The neck is not from a FJB 6 though, it is from Farida's P Bass - Farida FPB-18

Link here:

http://www.faridaguitars.co.uk/v1/farida_fpb18.html

Which makes this a Rosewood board.

In terms of the necks I'd say this is a middle spec of the FJB6 the lowest, the FPB 18 the middle and the FJB20 the top spec.

Strangely this FPB 18 P Bass version is very slim, slimmer than the necks on the Farida Jazzes which are already skinny enough.

I've had a FJB6, a FJB 20 and the FPB8 (and a Hypersonic HB20 which I think is still in BC land). All great basses.

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1391256099' post='2354996']
Glad you like it Paul - good solid bass isn't it.

The neck is not from a FJB 6 though, it is from Farida's P Bass - Farida FPB-18

Link here:

[url="http://www.faridaguitars.co.uk/v1/farida_fpb18.html"]http://www.faridagui...rida_fpb18.html[/url]

Which makes this a Rosewood board.

In terms of the necks I'd say this is a middle spec of the FJB6 the lowest, the FPB 18 the middle and the FJB20 the top spec.

Strangely this FPB 18 P Bass version is very slim, slimmer than the necks on the Farida Jazzes which are already skinny enough.

I've had a FJB6, a FJB 20 and the FPB8 (and a Hypersonic HB20 which I think is still in BC land). All great basses.
[/quote]

Cheers Martyn, I stand corrected, hold my hand up etc etc... ;)
I do like it but would not like to guess how long it stays with me. Variety is, as they say.

Edited by Prosebass