Why become a member? ×

Which Speakin Cable ? 4 Pole or 2 Pole

Sting2007

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='232295' date='Jul 3 2008, 09:34 PM']most likely 2 pole. I think Gallien Kruger are the only amps that use 4 pole for GK speakers where the amps have a separate 50W amp for the tweeter.[/quote]

+1

+1 for 2-pole

The 4-pole cables are used in applications where there are two separate outputs (e.g. bi-amp applications or a stereo pair) going to two separate speakers sets.

A 4-pole cable has two "sets" of speaker cable pairs inside it.

A 2-pole cable has a single speaker cable pair and is suitable for standard mono amplifier to speaker setups (i.e. the vast majority of bass rigs)

Having said, that I believe you can use correctly wired 4-pole cable with a 2-pole application as they are compatible (2 of the 4 pins will simply not be used) but it makes no sense to pay more for a cable you won't use fully.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a 2 pole socket for my Omni10 home-build to find that the cable and plug I've got coming from my Hartke amp is 4 pole and will not fit into the 2 pole socket (I guess this is a design 'feature').

Even though only 2 of the 4 poles are actually used in the amp plug I'm going to be replacing the 2 pole socket with a 4 pole one. I'm guessing the socket in my Hartke cab must be a 4 pole too as I never had any troubles getting the plug in?