Why become a member? ×

Small hands - Squier Vintage Modified Jazz v Precision

Absolute Beginner

[quote name='Absolute Beginner' timestamp='1390735888' post='2348722']
I'll be seeing Bruce play live with From The Jam at the Chilfest festival in Tring, Hertfordshire on Friday 4th July.

Very much looking forward to it !
[/quote]

Great, just up the road from me - will look into going to that one myself.

Hi Fraser, always nice to see another Hemeloid on the forum.

Barry (the owner) in Fretz Music Shop in the Old Town may be worth speaking to - he`s a bassist, and from all accounts, a rather good one as well. Failing that I`d be happy to help out, though being self-taught myself I`m not a structured musician or tutor. Also, being in 3 bands my time is fairly limited.

If you don`t find anyone PM me your details and we can sort something out.

I have gimpety hands. Not that small, not the most agile. I found a Jazz bass was nice and easy to play, and the 3mm did make a noticeable difference - I learned on a P, so my technique was horribly out of wack when I tried to slap - particularly the pop, my finger automatically tried to grab a string where there was none!! I ultimately bought a Squier VMPJ bass, which gave me the best of boh worlds tonally - one P pup and one Jazz pup.

As others have already noted, Ibanez basses have remarkably thin necks and I think.you could whizz up and down them if you had small hands. I found the neck too thin for my liking, but it.should be noted I'm an old fusspot who is extremely hard to please!