Why become a member? ×

testing for Ohms with a multi meter

KennysFord

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='231769' date='Jul 3 2008, 08:45 AM']hi folks.
i have a couple of mystery speakers at home.i want to see what Ohmage they are,can you test it with a multi meter.
thanks in advance. :)[/quote]
You can get a reading of the DC resistance, but the actual impedance will be a bit higher. I remember trying this, and seeing a 6Ω DC resistance on a speaker rated at 8Ω impedance. (Strictly speaking, impedance is the resistance to sIgnals of a specific frequency e.g. 8Ω @ 40Hz.)

I'm not sure this will help. The DC ohmeter won't give you the rated value (e.g. 8 ohms or 4 ohms) so you'll get some other value which means you still have to guess what the speaker's impedance actually is !

On the other hand, it won't do any harm and if you have a known speaker you can also check you might be able to work it out by comparison with the known speaker.

Maybe this will help: the Impedance [b]Z[/b] is the vector sum of the Resistance [b]R[/b] (which you measured) and the frequency-dependant [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactance"]Reactance[/url] [b]X[/b] (which you don't know). Z² = R² + X² , so you can safely say that the Impedance will never be [i]lower[/i] than the Resistance, only [i]higher[/i], so that's probably not a 4Ω speaker. If you'd like to see some more of the Maths on the subject, try [url="http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/EddyCurrents/Physics/impedance.htm"]this[/url]. :)

The rated impedance figure on a speaker is only a guide, because the Reactance changes with the frequency. Exactly how much is down to all kinds of factors, even the cabinet design, so you're not going to get a simple figure like the one you see in the adverts, such as 8Ω. You often see speaker makers measuring the actual Impedance over a frequency range, and providing a chart like this:

At least the DC resistance cannot be higher than the nominal impedance and is rarely less than half the nominal impedance.

That plot shown above is quite useful - shows why obessing over 4 vs 8 ohm nominal impedance to get max power is so futile, as the region where you need the power is where the impedance has the big peaks.

Alex