Why become a member? ×

How to get Started on the long road

Marc1t

[quote name='Marc1t' timestamp='1390237706' post='2342986']
Thanks Dr Dave seems like great advice if I ever get to the stage ill pretend to be Norman Watt-Roy one of my heroes, dealing with mistakes! yes I can see ware your coming from & play what I cant play? just had a go at hit me with our rhythm stick, If Noman was present he would have hit me with It that's for sure.
[/quote]. I think he would give you a few tips on playing the line while encouraging you to develop your own. Its good to take inspiration from great players , I did a lot of learning by copying as most of us do , but every body puts their trousers on the same way you do. I always think I had the best teachers in the world in Geddy Lee and Jim Lea but I would never play their lines now.

[quote name='Marc1t' timestamp='1390237706' post='2342986']
... if I ever get to the stage ill pretend to be Norman Watt-Roy one of my heroes ...
[/quote]

That's an easy one ... wear Gollum make-up and sweat buckets (and I do mean buckets). :lol:

I go to see NWR play as often as I can, used to watch him frequently with Wilko Johnson, once went to see him at The 100 Club with my leg in a cast following a motorbike accident and spent the entire gig with my cast resting on the stage by his feet just outside the sweat puddle.

When I grow up I want to play like Norman.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1390298899' post='2343629']
That's an easy one ... wear Gollum make-up and sweat buckets (and I do mean buckets). :lol:

I go to see NWR play as often as I can, used to watch him frequently with Wilko Johnson, once went to see him at The 100 Club with my leg in a cast following a motorbike accident and spent the entire gig with my cast resting on the stage by his feet just outside the sweat puddle.

When I grow up I want to play like Norman.
[/quote]

I might be able to make myself look like NWR play like him thats a dirrerent matter next time hes on at the Half Moon Putney Ill be there

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1390041365' post='2340739']
Marc, here is my tuppence worth.

The overriding thing that strikes me about your post is[i] Fear[/i] and [i]Apprehension.[/i]...[i]relax! [/i]Music is fun - just enjoy the journey.

Listen to everything, watch every bassist that you see...play, play and play. It reminds me of a story - When I started I lived in a very small village in the middle of the highlands of Scotland...no computers, no youtube, no ipods...no colour tv - but I had vinyl and a little record player. I spent endless hours picking up the needle of it and listening over and over to songs to pick out the basslines in the most basic of ways. I was later told that this is transcribing...but the word that describes the experience is of no relevance. I thought I had arrived as a player until I saw Stan Clarke on the "old grey whistle test" - so I practiced and practiced. I thought I had it nailed then I saw Mark King on "the Tube" - so I practiced and practiced. a few years ago I thought I had it nailed until I saw Hadrien Feraud - so I still practice and practice.

Practice makes perfect. Model the great players...of which there are thousands. [i]Have fun[/i]!
[/quote]

This is a great post, and exactly what you need.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1390297389' post='2343602']
. Still raising a finger to my ..er ...superiors by playing mustang sally like it stole something from me !
[/quote]
No..... I actually mean 'where the hell have you been' I haven't seen you around here for a while. Or am I mistaken.