Why become a member? ×

Ineffective truss rod - what to do?

I have a bass I built using an OLP 5 string neck, which is my main gigging instrument with one of my bands. While it's not obviously broken, the truss rod is unable to bring the neck straight enough, even when trying washers on the nut to give me more adjustment range. I have around 0.7mm of relief at the moment, which is playable but I'd like a bit less. The neck still has some relief with the strings off and truss rod slackened, and the rod doesn't change the relief even with the strings off. If it was a Fender sized neck, I'd just try a new neck, but there are almost no MM sized 5-string necks on the market (barring Status, but I can't afford those!). I have no back-up for this bass and very little budget to sort anything out. I'm loath to buy a different bass as I spent quite a while making the body for this one and it does sound good. As far as I can see, my options are as follows;
-Live with it as is. It not unplayable, but it could be a lot better
-Experiment with heat and clamping to straighten it out
-If the rod is still ineffective, I could attempt surgery as per this thread; [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160580-olp-mm3-broken-truss-rod-update/page__hl__olp"]http://basschat.co.u...e/page__hl__olp[/url]
-Alternatively, I could think about building a new neck. I've done it once before, and I'm sure the tools I don't have I could borrow.

What would anyone else do in this situation?

Thinking about it a little more, I'm going to bite the bullet and build a new neck. It's probably overkill, but it'll change the bass from being a bitsa with a homemade body to being a bass I built. Also, if I make it nice and stiff with a double action rod and CF reinforcement, it may help my B-string response, which isn't the greatest on this bass. I have a couple of metres of Fender sized fretwire knocking about already, and I think I can find a friend to borrow a router from. Now I need to source woods. The body blank was from David Dyke, and they were quite helpful so I may try them again.