Why become a member? ×

GK Amps

Bluescaster

Hi chaps, I had a GK 700rb but burned out the power amp in it some months ago. The guy who was fixing it said that it wasn't worth fixing. I then bought the lesser backline600 (no offence anyone who has it) second hand and cheap. Just wondering if I would be able to use the power amp from the backline to get the old girl up and running. Just a question before I go back to the guy again and I can pretend I know what I'm talking about ha. Cheers, Mick.

Hello Mick,
This is all off the top of my head so bear with me!
I can't see why it wouldn't be possible as the Backline 600 is similar to the old 400rb mk3, I'd have thought that what you want to do would work if you forego the biamp capabilities of the 700rb and higher power obviously. The RB series of amp seem to be modular, in the most basic sense preamp board bolted to the front panel power amp to the back, power transformer in the same place in the amp etc.
More knowledgeable sources:-
1. Polar Audio as you know distribute GK stuff on this side of the Atlantic, they are very helpful with spares for new stuff but don't tend to dwell much on older amps. To be fair to them they helped me with changing my old 400rb to UK voltage (new tranny) but I've since heard that GK have hiked the replacement tranny prices, dunno how helpful they'll be.
2. I think on Talkbass there's a bloke called Bstring who knows his onions regarding GK, not sure of his relationship to the company. I think GK have there own forum also.
3. Your own tech if he (horrible phrase!) 'buys into' wanting to tackle the job, that's probably the long and short of it. I don't think it would be a hard job to do really but it's all down to his enthusiasm or lack of.
Hope my ramblings have helped you,
Martin

Edited by The fasting showman

As above re Bstring on talk bass. There are two, Bstring and B_string. The first is the one you want. He is also very helpful on the GK forum and does seem to have access to GK info (more than most).

Another simple option would be to take an effects send from the 700 and connect to the return on the 600. Thus using the pre on the 7 and the power on the 6.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1389969883' post='2340115']
As above re Bstring on talk bass. There are two, Bstring and B_string. The first is the one you want. He is also very helpful on the GK forum and does seem to have access to GK info (more than most).

Another simple option would be to take an effects send from the 700 and connect to the return on the 600. Thus using the pre on the 7 and the power on the 6.
[/quote]This is the easiest way to do it if you can get the tech to ensure that the mains transformer is still and only powering up the pre section of the 700. As Gelfin has stated from there onwards regarding connecting it up, a great quick fix.

My way would be to get the tech to effectively swap the pre section of the 600 out and replace it with the 700 pre and front panel. You'll have what looks like a 700 then at least. I can't see a way around retaining the Speakons as the 600's power amp and thus rear panel are integrated.
If I was you that's what I'd attempt...knowing how good 600s are though (not owned one myself but Bob Gallien has stated that they are the same parts as a US 400RB) I bet it will sound no better than the stock 600 which has got the GK RB voicing and eq anyway! The Backline 600s, for what you can get them for, are amazing value.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Martin