Why become a member? ×

I have 17 mm bridge can I fit in Nordstrand DC?

matejj53

Hi the name of the topic explain my situation we'll enough. I am making bass guitar but later I realised that I been to have 17 mm hipshot b style to be able to fit 5 strings but I have spare nordies dc. I think they are 19 mm spacing and I think there would be too much of a room. I am thinking of fitting in a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz.

I'd give it a try; the only thing that will make them really unusable is if they are slit coils with the split directly under one string (e.g. using a P-bass pickup on a 5-string).
Going from 19mm to 17mm spacing, as long as string 3 is right in the middle of the pickup, the outer strings are shifted by 4mm. If you measure from the middle of the string 3 position on the pickup to string 1 or 5 it should be 38mm (19 x 2). As long as 34mm (17 x 2 ) still leaves the 1 and 5 strings over one of the poles it will work, albeit not perfect according to the manufacturers.
If you have the pickups anyway, and you are making the bass, I'd try it - what's to lose? I've used non-ideal pickups myself with 17mm spacing on both 4- and 5-strings and it's been fine.
Good luck!

• 2 months later...