Why become a member? ×

What rack compressor do you use?

Ant_On_Bass

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1392934640' post='2374556']
Hmmm I have to disagree with that, based on using the "one-knob" compressor on both my PJB Bass Buddy and Briefcase. In my main gigging rig I'm spoiled as the SM1500 has a full feature (threshold, ratio, attack, release) four knob solution built-in, but before that, I used one side of an Alesis 3630 to good effect in my signal chain. I've also used the little Aphex pedal compressor too, which is great for trapping peaks, but won't do that big squish if that's what your after.
[/quote]

Then you're one in a million for whom the average settings and curves available on a one knob compressor will work, IME more often than not a one knob compressor is a pretty over simplified nasty halfway house between every possible set up on a full featured compressor, and can't do an awful lot more than generic compression, which may or (more probably) may not fit the way you play, the music you're playing, the instrument you play, and the sound in your head that you are aiming for. They never seem to work anywhere near as well as a decent full featured compressor set up properly.

Having got the BBE on the test rig at work, the compressor has a slow attack and slow release, with no makeup gain or anything else. It is a limiter, with the compressor knob working as a threshold control. Due to the slow attack, it can let some short bursts of peaks through before it kicks in.
It is useful in that you can set the knob at a certain amount to keep the volume under control, then use the main output on the BBE as the "makeup gain", if you will.