Why become a member? ×

Squier Jazz IV Deluxe electronics failure

4stringood

HI,
Perhaps someone here can give me some advice.
I recently bought a used Squier IV deluxe jazz bass which worked ok for a short while and then the electronics failed completely. There is some output but is very very low.
There is a battery powered active eq pcb fitted so I guess this has failed............, can anyone here tell me................ are the pickups passive and if I rewire them to normal tone and volume pots will they work or do they require battery power, i.e some kind of preamp.
Thanks for any help,
John

I'm pretty certain these are standard single coil pickups; it's just the EQ classed as 'active'. Not sure how much output these produce but I don't see why you couldn't wire them in a tradional 3 pot circuit as a VVT combination (but what do you do with the spare control holes?).

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1389226160' post='2331749']
You could fit a J Retro: that would sidestep the current issue and upgrade the sound too!
[/quote]
And double the cost of the bass!

If you want a cheaper alternative for a replacement pre-amp, you could do worse than the Artec one - (look on eBay). the J-Retro is very nice (if you like the sweepable controls - personally I find them too much for live use) but also not cheap!

Alternatively, yes the pickups are passive so you could just have VVT or even VVTT or VBTT if you have 4 holes :) Or even VVT with a rotary series/parallel switch - there's lots you can do :)

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1389265797' post='2332006']
And double the cost of the bass!

If you want a cheaper alternative for a replacement pre-amp, you could do worse than the Artec one - (look on eBay). the J-Retro is very nice (if you like the sweepable controls - personally I find them too much for live use) but also not cheap!

Alternatively, yes the pickups are passive so you could just have VVT or even VVTT or VBTT if you have 4 holes :) Or even VVT with a rotary series/parallel switch - there's lots you can do :)
[/quote]

I had a J Retro that would have fitted this Bass earlier last year and could not give it away, in the end it went for £60 on eBay!