Why become a member? ×

Soapbar Pickups

mrdreadful

I have two project bodies which are routed for soapbar pickups... the downside being that sourcing inexpensive bass soapbars seems to be a proper pain in the arse.

I know that Artec, Wilkinson and Belcat make/ have made bass soapbars but finding a supplier that has them in stock is difficult. Does anyone have any info that might be helpful (or other possible pickups)?

One bass I intend to sell on when finished and the other's a keeper.

What sort of soapbar pickup do you want?

Unlike guitars where the term "soapbar" means something specific - namely a fat single coil pickup - bass soapbars can and do conceal almost anything beneath that bland exterior: humbuckers, single coils at an angle, P-type pickups.

Edit: Of course you could make your own covers to fit the routings and then stick anything of the right size inside.

Edited by BigRedX

You can find many on ebay and if you are lucky you might find some used pickups that are for half price I once found nordstrand here that cost £160 and new are £350. But That is my opinion. For me the pickups are something I like to look for and as in my bass they are most expensive thing. The idea of getting jazz bass pickup and making soapbar cover is good too...