Why become a member? ×

EMG extended series pickups

CJBASS

Anyone on here using a [b]EMG DC[/b] at the bridge and a [b]35J[/b] a the the neck? or have any experience playing either of these pickups on a bass?

Im going for a musicman bridge pu, jass neck pu style sound and I ideally want to put them through a U Retro preamp, just trying to work out if this setup will work or not?

So anyone got any ideas or opionions? :)

I used a pair of DC's in my 7 string and a pair of P's in my 6 string. I can't comment on the DC + J config, but there's absolutely no reason why this wont work. Don't forget, because EMG pups have quick release connectors, if you don't like the J in the neck position, you can always swap the pups round and see what it sounds like that way.. or swap for a P style.

The DC pup has more of a musicman rasp to it. The J will sound smoother and less aggressive. The P style pup has a deeper bottom end and will have a more characteristic sound than the J. All of the extended range pups have an inherent HIFI edge to them, but this can very easily be 'oldskooled' by using a passive EQ and winding the top end down. I leave mine 'falt' and EQ on my amp instead.

I love EMGs.. they are shhweeet!

Thanks dood that helps quite a bit, i though you would be one of the first to comment on a EMG thread :)

I think im gona give the DC + J a shot since no one else seems to have done it. As you say i can always swap them around or for something else.
With your 7 string did you run the two pickups on 18V like EMG recommend? and what preamp, if any do you have with it? I was just wondering how many batteries i might need with a DC + J with 9v preamp.

Definetly agree about EMG's, used to have EMG P/J in my old yamaha and i loved the sound of it.

cam

I run an 18V system on the BQS system ( ithink it is called) but you can run EMGs and a 9v preamp off the same battery, no probs. You could even run one battery for the pups one battery for the pre, 9 v each.. or do a full on 18v system if the pre will take it. I'd have a word with our man retro first, to see if you can. EMG circuits do, but thats not what you're after.