Why become a member? ×

PM4 v TM4

DaytonaRik

All,

I guess like the title says!

As well as hankering for a T'bird I'm also considering a Sandberg relic. I admit to preferring the aesthetics of the J-bass, especially the positioning of the controls and I'm not a fan of the P-bass control area of the pick guard on purely cosmetic level.

As I'd predominantly be using the bridge p/u in a rock band are there any issues with using either in that scenario?

I currently play a Schecter Omen Extreme IV as my main bass and seem to find the sounds I want well enough but having decided to make the switch to bass a permanent state of affairs I'm looking to upgrade in the very near future.

Comments, opinions and advice appreciated.

Rik

I haven't played the PM but I do own a JM4 (now called the TM4 if I've got them the right way around - it's the Jazz type one). It's a stunning bass and has killed my bass GAS completely. I've played really heavy stuff, mellow stuff, folky stuff, and all kinds of covers stuff too with it and it's nailed any tone I've needed and has sounded great with rounds or flats. My Stingray barely gets a look-in now. I actually find myself leaning towards the neck pickup more these days, as I love the extra heft in the low end it has, but the bridge sounds great too. Versatile pre-amp, splittable humbucker, sounds great in passive mode, there's nothing not to like in my opinion.

I picked up mine second hand in a trade deal but if ordering brand new you can specify options to suit you, but the stock instruments are great as they are.

Cheers Mike,

that's pretty much exactly what I had hoped to hear as I'd been advised against the TM as a rock tool and to look at the PM instead. My only debate now remains over the neck pick up - tapped hum bucker, jazz or split precision? I'm loving their hardcore aged finish...just a shame it's a 5 month wait!

It doesn't need to be the most versatile of instruments but a cracking rock tone is a definite must - think Duff and you'd not be far from what I'm after

Edited by DaytonaRik