Why become a member? ×

Want to Start Playing Folk

Mykesbass

I sat in on a recent folk night and listened to two bands. The first had an acoustic bass, amplified, and the second, a P-bass, amplified. To my ear, the first was much more sympathetic to the music being played: the P-bass just stood out as an odd sound.

My personal experience of acoustic sessions is that they can be in pubs where there are very few power sockets, and landlords will not allow you to trail mains cables across the floor. I'm looking into building a battery-powered rig because of this.

When I first started going to thse events, I started by asking the organiser if an acoustic bass could be amplified, and he asked the landlord. That way, everyone is in the loop.

Hope this helps

David

I've been involved in folk singing for decades and recently took up the bass. I use a uke bass with a Roland bass microcube - its loud enough to balence volumes with acoustic instruments in a pub session. I recently changed basses to a new design from Excelsior instruments which might be loud enough to not need an amp in the quieter sessions. I haven't had it long enough to use it out but it's significantly louder than a uBass.
I can supply more info if your interested.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' timestamp='1386806392' post='2304980']
I sat in on a recent folk night and listened to two bands. The first had an acoustic bass, amplified, and the second, a P-bass, amplified. To my ear, the first was much more sympathetic to the music being played: the P-bass just stood out as an odd sound.

My personal experience of acoustic sessions is that they can be in pubs where there are very few power sockets, and landlords will not allow you to trail mains cables across the floor. I'm looking into building a battery-powered rig because of this.

When I first started going to thse events, I started by asking the organiser if an acoustic bass could be amplified, and he asked the landlord. That way, everyone is in the loop.

Hope this helps

David
[/quote]
[quote name='duffer1' timestamp='1387161273' post='2308919']
I've been involved in folk singing for decades and recently took up the bass. I use a uke bass with a Roland bass microcube - its loud enough to balence volumes with acoustic instruments in a pub session. I recently changed basses to a new design from Excelsior instruments which might be loud enough to not need an amp in the quieter sessions. I haven't had it long enough to use it out but it's significantly louder than a uBass.
I can supply more info if your interested.
[/quote]

Thanks for these replies - I think I'll be making my search even harder then as new gear is out of the question for a while :(