Why become a member? ×

Pickup fafffffffff

Cantdosleepy

So I finally caved in and ordered some new pickups for the old bass. Got them from a fella named Andy who owns Wizard Pickups.

I order and pay on Sunday, 8 June.

Andy ships pickups that were wound just for me on Tuesday 10 June. That's service. Lovely guy.

Royal Mail apparently deliver them on Wednesday 11 June, but no-one's in and they don't leave a card, so I don't realise they've been.

I wait until Thursday 12 June before e-mailing Andy and saying that I've a gig coming up next week and was wondering when the pups would be dispatched. He tells me they were sent on Tuesday.

I call royal mail to get a re-delivery, but can only get through to an automated service. I try to use the automated service to get the pickups delivered to my work on Monday 16 June.

Monday 16 June - no pickups appear at work.

Monday evening. Royal Mail have left a card this time. At home. It says they're at the depot down the road, but please wait 48 hours for them to be processed before I can pick them up. The depot is open 8:00am to 12:00pm. When I'm at work.

Thursday 19 June - get some time off and pick up the pups. Gig is the next day, though, so no time to install them (want to get a set-up, action intonation, etc etc all at the same time).

Friday 20 June - play gig with old pups.

Tuesday 24 June - get time off work, drop bass off at gallery to have work done. Should be done by Friday, but can't get time off work so agree to collect on Saturday.

Thursday 26 June - get call from Gallery. Neck pup is the wrong size.* Could jam it in but better to get job done properly. Cycle home from work early and collect wrong-size pickup. E-mail Andy at wizard, who is as usual super-helpful.

Today 27 June - post old pickup back to Wizard on next day delivery, with return address of bass gallery in Camden (where my bass still is) so they can stick it straight in.

Next gig - Thursday 3rd July. Have started practicing the setlist at home with my housemate's bass (Mine is a flatwound passive jazz. His is an active, roundwound Yamaha) in case it's not done in time. The clock is ticking....

*absolutely and entirely my own fault for ordering wrong size. No discredit to Andy or the Gallery.