Why become a member? ×

Warwick de tune - PLEASE HELP

CPBass

Hi folks,

As a bit of an oldie I haven't really kept up to speed with the modern metal scene and had never heard of Djent n things. I was part of the emerging Thrash metal genre back in the 80s when guitars were still tuned to concert pitch or maybe down half a tone. Anyway a pretty damn decent metal band has requested my old school input on bass which is awesome but all my basses are in concert pitch.

These guys tune down to Low C sharp.

Ive got the fat strings (.120) ordered and on the way, aside from Nut and action adjustments what do I do with the truss rod?? Ive never had to make these drastic changes before and Id hate something to go wrong.

Truss trod adjusting advice would be so welcome.

My 'audition' is on sunday

Heavier strings are likely to pull the neck forward slightly, increasing the 'relief', i.e. making it more concave under the strings.

With your original strings at concert pitch, use capos or padded clamps of some kind to hold down the strings at the first fret and the fret where the neck meets the body. Find the point half way between these points and use feeler gauges to measure the clearance of the strings above the frets. Note down this figure for the G string and the E string (which may well have more clearance).

When you fit your new strings, do these measurements again. If they have increased you have the option of bringing them some way back into line by tightening the truss rod. Go no more than a 1/4 turn at a time. Then do your nut work and bridge height adjustments. Check the relief again. If you are getting string buzz or rattle you may need to take off some of the truss rod tension you have added, by slackening it slightly.

How concise was that? Thank you Japanaxe, you my man are a Gent.
Normal range truss movements are fine. I'm simply asking in case there are pitfalls to avoid when changing the whole string structure and tensions.

ill get on it tomorrow and I'll have an evening to learn the tracks

muchos gracias

Col