Why become a member? ×

Tung Oil neck question

cameltoe

Hi Guys,

Stripped the cheap nitro refinish on the back of my Road Worn P neck after some luthier work, as I didn't like the colour or feel. It was very yellow and sticky! Tried knocking it back with a bit of wet and dry, but it all came off, so I ended up sanding the neck smooth. Felt lovely, but it also felt very dry and needed sealing.

I decided to go down the Tung Oil route, and bought some online, Pure Tung Oil. I got the neck really smooth and well prepped, and applied the Tung Oil using the following method:

Sponge application down whole neck, sopping wet but not running
Lightly removed excess after 15-30 minutes
Allowed to dry for 24 hours before starting again after a very light buff with steel wool

I followed this process for 8 coats, at which point I knocked back using 1200 grit wet and dry, and the neck gleamed and felt fantastic. Sealed with Bri-Wax, and 2 coats of Collinite (Carnuba wax).

The neck felt great after this, very smooth and glossy. I picked it up a few times over the next few days, and it felt great every time!

I've now, however, returned after leaving the bass for approx 8 days, and the neck is as dry as an old boot!

The finish has completely dried off, and I'm left with a neck that doesn't feel or look that dissimilar to the bare finish I started with.

So what did i do wrong? I've now ordered some Tru-Oil, as I have read this is easier to work with and requires less coats. I still have lots of Tung Oil but I don't want to have to get the whole process wrong again!

Any help you guys can offer would be well received.

Tung Oil is a funny one, it's usually quite thick, and the first several coats may need a bit of thinning in order to soak into the wood effectively, otherwise you may find that you're just sanding off all of the oil you've just put on! This can be done by diluting it with some white spirit, or even heating it in the microwave (warning, contents may be hot!)

Even then, I've always found it to be a bit tacky and not the best finish. Also, I'm not a huge fan of wax when you will be adding friction or moisture. I'd go with the Tru Oil plan.