Why become a member? ×

Eden advice

action_panzer

Hi guys,

I've got the opportunity to buy an Eden rig (EGRW264) for a tad under £300. I was after a bit of advice on:

a) Is this good value
B) Is it a decent rig? (Its Eden...)
c) I'm very dubious a 10" speaker could cope with a live drummer and guitarist rocking a Vox Valvetronix 80.

So why am I considering it? It sounds like corking value for a good amp, and, far more to the point it is LIGHT. I currently use an Ampeg BA 115HP, and its more than powerful enough for my band at the moment - gain and master set to 4/5 is usually enough...but it has a 15" speaker.

Also, I've only ever had combos, so is this head unit capable of playing into other speakers should I want to use a different cab? Could I use 2 10" Eden cabs with this for a mini stack?

All your thoughts hugely appreciated,

AP

Most Eden stuff is pretty top notch in my opinion.
At 300w it should be OK for smaller gigs and larger ones with PA support (i.e. stage monitor).
It'll have a different sound to your Ampeg, tighter and more focussed. If trouser flapping low bass is your thing I don't know that it'll cope too well with that. The 10" will move less air than the 15".

But if you're after a decent, portable rig you can do a lot worse than this one.

[b]**** Beware that the cab is 4 ohms and so is the minimum impedance of the amp, so you won't be able to add a second cab to this setup. ****[/b]

You would have to have two 8ohm cabs for a mini stack. Or better still a 4 ohm 2x10 or 2x12.

IMO, nobody can gig with a 110 cab, unless they are sitting behind an acoustic guitarist.

110 is not enough and you can't add another cab. Not a good rig.

The old Eden gear was top notch, but I don't see the love for Eden anymore and they are not the same company these days.

In addition to one 10" cabinet not going to be enough, this head is really underpowered. And by that I mean that any other similarly rated head will bury it volume vise.
I played it through a very efficient Eden 410XLT cabinet and I had the output clip light all the time. And we weren't that loud.

Price-wise, it is a good deal and you will love it for sessions that don't require a lot of volume.

Edited by DiscoTetak