Why become a member? ×

Garageband Update

olliedf89

I'm hoping to find some answers here! I've been using Garageband on my 2009 iMac since I got it with no problems, and about 2.5 years ago I started using a Roland UA-55 Quad Capture interface to help with my recording. I've always used it simply for 2 channels, 1 for guitar, 1 for bass. Recorded regularly ever since. No problem.

I recently updated my Mac to Mavericks, as well as Garageband to its latest version, but I've been experiencing problems. Every time I plug in any sort of instrument, bass, guitar etc, all I get are distorted cracks all over the guitar tracks, during both recording and playback. As if the input is too loud and causing an issue to the speakers.

I've tried most of the variables I can and It isn't the speakers, or any of my gear, I've updated all drivers and re-installed Garageband as well as used the old version and nothing has changed. I am presuming it's to do with the update, as I've noticed other people complaining of the same thing across the internet, yet there doesn't seem to be a fix for it, not one that I can make head nor tail of anyway.

The only thing that made a difference was to alter the sample rate on the Quad Capture, went from 44.1 to 192 and the problem increased, which leads me to believe there could be a mismatch between GB and the Quad Capture (if that makes sense at all) but all I can find on GB is a tick box to confirm 24bit, which makes no difference either way... Maybe I'm going mad...

I'm hoping it's a simple issue rather than a bad update as its left me totally unable to record anything right now.
I was wondering if other people have had this issue or might be able to lead me in the right direction? Thanks!

[quote name='olliedf89' timestamp='1385415996' post='2288106']
IThe only thing that made a difference was to alter the sample rate on the Quad Capture, went from 44.1 to 192 and the problem increased,

[/quote]

try setting to 48 and then adjust the sample rate buffer - after updating the driver,of course...

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1385453982' post='2288337']
try setting to 48 and then adjust the sample rate buffer - after updating the driver,of course...
[/quote]

So I've just tried setting to 48 (as well as using the other variables) but to no avail. I've tried all combinations... between the Quad and GB as well, not that there are many. Still stuck!

Would an audio recording be more helpful?