Why become a member? ×

XLR out tone?

40hz

Hi guys. Quick question :)
Just starting to home record into an alesis io2. Been getting some nice tones out of my Jazz bass direct. now thinking of using my Ashdown EB180's xlr out and taking advantage of the preamp. Will using the Ashdown colour my sound in any way other than what I choose with eq? Sorry if I make no sense, just new to the whole home recording thing! Thanks!

As a general rule, preamps should give a flat frequency response with the tone controls set to zero - usually (but not always) in the centre of their travel and sometimes marked as '0'.

But, having said that, you're probably better off just spending a bit of time playing around with some test recordings until you get the tone you're seeking and not worrying too much about whether a particular preamp will colour your sound. Keep a notebook handy to record all your settings so you can recreate them later (unless you have a better memory than me!).