Why become a member? ×

Buzz from pedal board/amp

originalfunkbrother

Hi guys and girls,

I have an issue that is driving me mad. I use a pedal board comprising of tuner, octabass, chorus and DI powered by the Diago Micropower9. When I play this through an active amp at home, it sound good. No hum, buzz nor hiss. But when I take it to church and play it through the MarkBass amp, I get considerable levels of hum. I'm at my wits end because I don't know where it's coming from. Could it be the amp? Unlikely because when I plug the bass direct, there's no noise. Could it be the XLR output on the DI?
Anyone with a clue?

Many thanks
Greg

Ground loop likely with poor electrics at the venue, try the ground lift on the di or a decent extension lead something with a bit of power filtering. Additionally try plugging the amp and pedalboard into different sockets (only works if they're on different circuits though)

Do you find if you don't use the board and just use the amp you get hum?

It'll be the Micropower, I have friends who've had issues (not really the power supplies fault) some places have crap electrics and this isn't an isolated supply like the Voodoo Labs etc

It does happen with daisy chain power supplies not a whole lot you can do about it but the tyring it on different circuits may work if its possible with the placement of the sockets.