Why become a member? ×

A bit of fretless "Graceland" business

alittlebitrobot

Hi,

I just threw up (I use the phrase advisedly) this video on youtube.

For two reasons really. First, on the off-chance that somebody gets some enjoyment out of it but second, and more importantly, I [b]always[/b] play worse when I'm recording. I'm not in a band and I don't want to join one so this isn't really a [i]big [/i]deal, but I do want to record my own stuff and I don't want to be constantly punching in and out to correct errors the whole time. I want to be able to do one good take from beginning to end so I thought doing this might help to make me relax a bit.
And it's not just that listening to the recording means I'm picking up mistakes I didn't realise at the time. Just knowing I'm recording myself makes me fluff notes and, on the fretless, my intonation goes wonky in a way that I can detect even while I'm playing.
Anyway, with all that in mind.. :D
[media]http://youtu.be/gf-eF46kmQE[/media]

Thanks for taking a look/listen :)

I just had the actual songs on mixed into my headphones but I had the volume too low so I was mostly drowning it out... but I just ploughed on anyway.
Thanks for the tip, Bilbo.
I think I just need to play slow for a while. It's all too tense and in a hurry. Need to caaaalm down.
I also need to find a way of accidentally recording myself so I don't get all self-conscious and tense up.

• 1 month later...

After 25 years of playing, I still get self-conscious a little when the red light goes on. Not un-common though so don't worry about it too much, just one of those things Getting up in front of 20,000 to play live on the other hand has never been an issue. I guess when recording, the spot light is on you more.