Why become a member? ×

SOLD Sound City 200 MkIII Valve Amp
£900

Pow_22

Seing as ive just signed up to a years subscription on here i thought id gauge interest in some things im potentially selling

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]And now for something completely different…..Sound City 200 Mk III All Valve vintage Beast[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]This is the muts nuts. Date wise im not sure but believe the MkIII’s were possibly late 60’s and said to be more than a little similar to Hiwatt’s. The MkIII dosent have the active EQ/pre-amp that the later MkIV’s have and some say that makes them much more preferable. Its massively loud, I mean proper fckin loud![/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]I bought this beast in a sorry state – it basically didn’t work. So I took it to valve guru Roland Lumby in Salford (see his Facebook page The Amp Clinic where he did a running commentary on the repair). If you ask Roland about the amp on there im sure he’ll wax lyrical about it, of all the amps he see’s he loved this one! Roland did the following:-[/color][/size][/font]
[list]
[*][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Full re-valve – 4 x JJ pre-amp valves and 4 x Shuguang KT88’s[/color][/size][/font]
[*][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Replaced both standby and power switches[/color][/size][/font]
[*][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Replaced fuses[/color][/size][/font]
[*][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Replaced pre-amp valve screening cans with spare old ones he had[/color][/size][/font]
[*][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Few resistors and smoothing caps replaced[/color][/size][/font]
[*][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Rewired outputs so can be used with single cab (these were designed to not work unless two jacks were connected due to the power – all 4 outputs still work so if youre nuts you can use more than one cab)[/color][/size][/font]
[*][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Replaced one power valve socket[/color][/size][/font]
[*][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Fitted Marshall Style silver knobs (original coloured ones will be supplied)[/color][/size][/font]
[*][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Increased the pre-amp voltage (don’t ask me any techy questions – he said it needed it and didn’t disagree)[/color][/size][/font]
[*][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Various other stuff to get it working (all detailed in a receipt which I will supply).[/color][/size][/font]
[/list]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Service cost me £150 and that didn’t include the valves which I supplied myself. The valves have had, I would say, around 7 or 8 hours use since the service. The KT88’s weren’t BRAND new but bought from a HiFi forum where they were said to have around 30hrs use. Roland checked them before installation and said they tested all good and strong. JJ’s were brand new.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Tolex is tatty as one would expect (tho nowhere near the state of a later 120 Mk IV I had). Comes with roqsolid dust cover.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]The One bad point – the back panel is missing. I can get one knocked up by a local woodworker if it’s a deal breaker and I did get a quote of around £70 for an exact replica made by George Harrison Woodwork Ltd based in Flixton, Manchester.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]I don’t know if these amps are yet at the stage where they attract collectors but either way this deserves to be played at volumes and venues far beyond my current means. Of course, its heavy – big old Partridge transformers you see. So its not for the class D or micro amp mob or those who think sticking a VT pedal in front of a lunch box sized amp will give you an all valve sound.. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Its collection only from Bolton im afraid – gives you chance to hear/see/check it before parting with your cash too which I would much prefer. I can deliver locally if needed. Pics will be forthcoming – im at work and the pic hosting sites are blocked at the mo.[/color][/size][/font]

[size=3][color=#000000][font=Times New Roman]There wont be any price drops with this. If it dosent sell at this price ill keep it. Its lovely just to fire up every now and again and watch the glow [/font][font=Wingdings][font=Wingdings]J[/font][/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Pow_22

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Martin. Had the amp to the tech and as is always the case it worked impeccibly for him! Checked valves and gave them all a clean bill. Asked him about caps and he says they all look fine (honestly dont know if/how he tested them. As such ill pop in back for sale and will give it a few hours use before any sale to check - obviously if the hiss returns ill get it sorted immediately.

When i say his tho i do mean a very faint noise that wasnt there before, certainly not full on gain-cranked type hiss or crackly pops. As before any trial welcome and would even consider hiring a small room at the local rehearsal space for a full on cranked test drive for any prospective buyer

The static noise has returned. Ruled out the pre-amp valves with some spares i had. Spoke to my tech who recons it may be one of the power valves. Problem is he cant fit me in till after xmas. As such ill either consider offers with the problem and buyer can sort or ill get it fixed in new year