Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Impedance (again)

radansey

OK, similar question to other posts on here.

My Peavey TNT115s quotes 150W in 4 ohms, however getting hold of 4 ohm replacement speakers is proving difficult at present so therefore I am thinking of getting an 8 ohm. Apart from a decrease in overall gain, what are the advantages/disadvantages in doing this? Assuming that halving the impedance does not mean a halving in available gain, can assume a max gain in the region of 100W into 8 ohms? I also want to wire-in a connector to enable me to parallel-wire a second 8-ohm cabinet at a later date if required.

Ross

[quote name='radansey' post='225368' date='Jun 23 2008, 08:59 PM']OK, similar question to other posts on here.

My Peavey TNT115s quotes 150W in 4 ohms, however getting hold of 4 ohm replacement speakers is proving difficult at present so therefore I am thinking of getting an 8 ohm. Apart from a decrease in overall gain, what are the advantages/disadvantages in doing this? Assuming that halving the impedance does not mean a halving in available gain, can assume a max gain in the region of 100W into 8 ohms? I also want to wire-in a connector to enable me to parallel-wire a second 8-ohm cabinet at a later date if required.

Ross[/quote]
Thank you for spelling impedance correctly.

There should be no problem in connecting a larger impedance speaker to the amp. The actual output power (Watts) is meaningless as it doesn't not equate directly to volume. A more efficient 8 ohm speaker might still give the same perceived volume as a 4 ohm speaker. Also the difference between 150W and 100W in volume terms is not as much as you might expect.

It probably would still be better to obtain a 4 ohm replacement speaker, if possible.

If you still want to go down the 8 ohm route then that should be ok. To wire in an extension socket for a second speaker take two wires (one from each connector on the combo speaker) and wire them to the tip and sleeve of a mono jack socket. Mount the jack socket somewhere on the back of the amp. It's that simple. That will give you a parallel speaker connection so that connecting an 8 ohm cab (to the 8 ohm combob speaker) would give a total load of 4 ohms.

With this method there is a 50/50 chance that the second speaker cabinet could be wired "out of phase" with the combo speaker. If this is the case simply reverse the wires on the jack socket.