Why become a member? ×

Almost famous......

Huge Hands

Oh well, we were all excited for a while....

There we were, playing a regular monthly slot in Jazz After Dark in Soho on Saturday night, when Mitch Winehouse, father of Amy came in.

After he and his partner appeared to like our first set, he got up and sang a couple of tunes with us.

As Pete Doherty and Amy often get in the venue (the venue owners are very proud of this), there just "happened" to be a member of "the paparrazzi" there who took some photos. I think it might have been a set-up, but being the dopey bass player, and not paying any attention, I didn't hear or find out what the true story was.

We were told this photographer's usual paper was the free LondonPaper that comes out every afternoon. I have just found the small photograph of it in the e-copy on their website and guess what....

A body shot of him and no mention of us at all in the photo comment. I think my right knee may be in shot (I was sitting on a stool due to space)!

I only managed to get two halves of it off their site because it was in the middle of 2 pages. I only managed to get it in pdf format, so I don't think I'll be able to put it up here.

If one of my colleagues remembers to pick me up a copy on the way home, I'll try and scan it in. I don't suppose there's any point - just a middle aged bloke with a microphone :)

Oh well, que sera sera.......

I thought I might be able to help you there, because my employer also owns the LondonPaper, but there are no photos on our system of Mitch Winehouse singing. It might have gone straight to their website without troubling the paper.

I'll get you a copy if it pops up -- but I'm off the next couple of days.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='misrule' post='225273' date='Jun 23 2008, 07:17 PM']It might have gone straight to their website without troubling the paper.[/quote]

Thanks Mark. I assume it was the web copy of tonight's paper I was reading. Looks like the centre pages, part of the "London Buzz" section.

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='225277' date='Jun 23 2008, 07:20 PM']Thanks Mark. I assume it was the web copy of tonight's paper I was reading. Looks like the centre pages, part of the "London Buzz" section.[/quote]
I can't find it online. Ping me a link if you see it.

Cheers

Mark

The picture was credited to Charlie Pycraft at www.ydimage.com.

They have four shots. See [url="http://ydimage.com/cgi-bin/YDI/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Latest_Images"]here[/url]

You can't actually look at them unless you work for a company who's registered on the site -- but if you ring 0207 613 3990 and ask nicely they may send you copies. In return, you could offer to give them tip-offs in future, since you play in loads of after-hours celeb hang-outs blah, blah, blah. :)

If not, I'll ask our picture desk if they can help on Thursday.

Cheers

Mark

Got a scan of the picture from the paper today (attached). If you look hard enough, you can just see my knee in the bottom left of the picture.

Now that has to be the worst claim to fame ever!

Remember, if we did get famous through this, you heard it here first!!!

I wouldn't hold your breath.....

[quote name='bnt' post='226097' date='Jun 24 2008, 06:31 PM']I betcha there is more in the original pictures, but everything but Mr. Winehouse got cropped out. :)[/quote]
That's fair enough -- he's the famous one.

What's his singing like?

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='misrule' post='226139' date='Jun 24 2008, 07:31 PM']That's fair enough -- he's the famous one.

What's his singing like?

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Erm, I don't really want to comment too much on that really. He held a note well, was in tune, but I don't think he'll be worrying Amy any time soon.

He sang "That's Life" and "I'm in the Mood for Love" while struggling to read the words off a sheet on the table (he didn't have his "readers" with him).

He seemed like a thoroughly nice bloke so don't want to appear to slag him off. Fair dos to him for having a go.

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='226349' date='Jun 24 2008, 11:41 PM']Erm, I don't really want to comment too much on that really. He held a note well, was in tune, but I don't think he'll be worrying Amy any time soon.

He sang "That's Life" and "I'm in the Mood for Love" while struggling to read the words off a sheet on the table (he didn't have his "readers" with him).

He seemed like a thoroughly nice bloke so don't want to appear to slag him off. Fair dos to him for having a go.[/quote]
Very tactful :) There are those who say his daughter's not the greatest singer in the world, either ...

Cheers

Mark