Why become a member? ×

External preamp for an NS NXT5 ?

ambient

I bought an NS NXT5 string EUB a while ago. I've only really used it for recording up to now, but have a few live things coming up soon.

It seems to have rather a low output. I used to have an EA Micro 550 head, and it seemed fine through one channel on that, my new amp though, I'm having to really increase the gain.

Should I be using an external preamp ?

Maybe something like the Fishman Platinum, that'd be useful I guess for EQ'ing it too.

I have an NS NXT4 which I've used for a couple of years+ without a preamp, with a Markbass 12inch combo [I think it's a Mini 121].I've usually been happy with the sound - no problem with volume, bags of extra if needed, but occasionally a room makes it difficult to reduce a hollowness in the sound that I don't like. Gain needs to be a tad more than I use with my BG, with volume about the same. No drums in this band though, and its possible you may need a bit more umph for the low 5th, although I've never found this with BG. I've often thought about a Fishman which, from what I've read, will tighten the sound and give you more control, but have always decided against on the grounds of clutter. We like to travel as light as possible- the fewer plugs and leads and things to fiddle with the better. Perhaps I'm getting a bit old!