Why become a member? ×

Custom Build Advice? Jason Newsted Élan 5

JazzBassfreak

[quote name='nugget' timestamp='1383552100' post='2265632']
Make it yourself! Even if your 1[sup]st[/sup] attempt isn’t perfect it’ll still be your baby
As long as you take your time and research loads on the net you’ll get there.
[/quote]

Nice thinking mate! Another interesting fact is as it looks it's going to be made of oak, since it's the scraps I have around the workshop. So it'll even be heavy like an Alembic too ;)

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1383556699' post='2265693']
Reproducing an Alembic at the first attempt is a bit of an ask imho.
[/quote]

Maybe so, but in not aiming to reproduce the woods and Alembics quality is unmatched so that's going to be pretty much impossible for my first build. I'm just sorta basing my project on the shape :)

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1383574457' post='2265994']
Nice thinking mate! Another interesting fact is as it looks it's going to be made of oak, since it's the scraps I have around the workshop. So it'll even be heavy like an Alembic too ;)
[/quote]

I know oak isn’t fashionable for basses but I’ve always fancied trying it out, I bet it would be very resonant.
Oak bass doesn’t have to be too heavy, just make the body thinner than normal as a % of the density difference, for example if you made the body 37mm thick it would weigh about the same as a 44mm thick ash body. I did that recently with an ovangkol body and it’s 8.5lb finished

[quote name='nugget' timestamp='1383584118' post='2266198']

I know oak isn’t fashionable for basses but I’ve always fancied trying it out, I bet it would be very resonant.
Oak bass doesn’t have to be too heavy, just make the body thinner than normal as a % of the density difference, for example if you made the body 37mm thick it would weigh about the same as a 44mm thick ash body. I did that recently with an ovangkol body and it’s 8.5lb finished
[/quote]

The oak I've got is about 2 inches thick so I'll shave it down to my liking and contour it :) oak is supposed to be very stiff and stable so sounds like it'll be good for a neck wood. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Atm I'm having trouble with the template of the Élan shape /:

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1383680987' post='2267673']
My first build (fretless bass) was a merranti core with oak front & rear facings...both unfashionable woods in guitar building terms.....it sounds Awesome.

Good luck with the build...it will be a journey and the learning process will be priceless.
[/quote]

Thanks man, I've found some mahogany too, glued it all up today. It's a 3 piece neck mahogany being in the middle. I'm hoping you're right about the oak, I've heard bad things, but then a lot of positive things too. So to be honest i don't really know what to think /: either way with a JPJ config of EMGs it should sound killer !

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1383690363' post='2267844']
Thanks man, I've found some mahogany too, glued it all up today. It's a 3 piece neck mahogany being in the middle. I'm hoping you're right about the oak, I've heard bad things, but then a lot of positive things too. So to be honest i don't really know what to think /: either way with a JPJ config of EMGs it should sound killer !
[/quote]
Well, I heard horror stories about Oak in guitar building...but also heard Chestnut being championed by the same people. As a furniture maker I knew that Oak & Chestnut are virtually identical...so I figured "whats the beef?" and went for it. I was spurred on when I saw a beautiful 1970's Alembic series 1 with Oak facings.

My advice...go for it.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1383774170' post='2269070']

Well, I heard horror stories about Oak in guitar building...but also heard Chestnut being championed by the same people. As a furniture maker I knew that Oak & Chestnut are virtually identical...so I figured "whats the beef?" and went for it. I was spurred on when I saw a beautiful 1970's Alembic series 1 with Oak facings.

My advice...go for it.
[/quote]

Awesome man, Alembic know their stuff, so hopefully it'll turn out ok, Thanks to nugget, I got templates printed on A1 and should be cutting the body tuesdayish. Will update with pics too! :)

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1383809694' post='2269275']
Looking forward to watching this progress - you definitely made the right decision making your own, there's nothing quite like it. So far as oak goes I made a neck years ago from oak, maple and walnut and it worked just fine. The main reason oak isn't used that often is just fashion.
[/quote]

Yeah, oak is a lovely wood, very sturdy. I just hope it turns out the way I hope. I'm just thinking about the JPJ pickup config, I was hoping to get a set from emg with all the solderless bumph, but emailed them and they won't do it! Very helpful!

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1383834804' post='2269766']
Yeah, oak is a lovely wood, very sturdy. I just hope it turns out the way I hope. I'm just thinking about the JPJ pickup config, I was hoping to get a set from emg with all the solderless bumph, but emailed them and they won't do it! Very helpful!
[/quote]
Just remember not to machine against the grain on the Oak or it may tear out...particularly when routing!

• 2 weeks later...