Why become a member? ×

Fender precision

patrikmarky

Thinking of investing in my first ever fender precision..not bad after 30 years..who can give me a brief history of the changes in Neck profile..as I don't think a modern c shape is the neck for me...I'm led to believe they a pretty much a jazz neck nowadays..
Cheers pat

Well the width at the nut is still the same - aside from the Classic 50s/Roadworn 44mm ones that is - but they are much shallower in the hand nowadays. The Mike Dirnt Sig is about the only current regular nut-width neck with a fair depth to it.

A good example of a nice fill your hand neck but not too oversized are the models from the late 90s, as well as being cracking instruments too. Fender had yet another takeover, in about 97 I believe, so instruments around this time seem to have been of "upped quality".

Of course a 70s Precision would fill the hand nicely, but with these you`re looking at a much higher price. Some people don`t seem to rate the 70s ones, I`ve had two and each were great, but just a bit too heavy for my back, though not all are ton-weights, just seems that those are the ones we hear about.

Yup, the Road Worn/ Classic '50's MIM models plus the American Vintage '57 all have the wide 1.75 nut, and are a handful, however they are not all that deep front to back so are not too bad to play.

The thickest neck I've played recently was on my old Squier Classic Vibe '50's P Bass, which had a neck like a baseball bat! It didn't help that the poly finish was an inch thick, either.

If you specifically want a big neck then the '57 reissues above are a good way to go and the three I mentioned at the start are all very good instruments in three different price brackets depending on your budget. I think there is even a Classic 50's and an AV '57 for sale on here at the moment.

I don't find the modern P necks to be like J necks especially, they are still plenty chunky for my hands.

I think you need to go to a shop and try some.

I went out thinking I wanted a vintage style 1.75 width neck, but it was just too much and I ended up going for a US standard instead (which is 1.625 I think, halfway between a jazz 1.5" width and the vintage-style precisions). IMHO the modern P necks are a good compromise, and they definitely aren't pretty much a jazz neck in feel or dimensions.