Why become a member? ×

For Sale: DBX 166XL

Dan_Nailed

The fire sale continues. After using my Bass 400+ for my first practice with it today, I realised that I don't need my compressor any more. The gate isn't used as my distortion is blended in the FX loop and there's no noise, and I don't need the compressor as the tubes do that for me. So I'm saving space and clearing out some air vent room for the tubes, and this is up for grabs. It's transparent and served me very well when I had my QSC, great for adding punch, cutting out noise and is just a great piece of kit. It's in brand new condition, racked since day one.

Features:
Goof proof operation to smooth uneven levels, add sustain to guitars, fatten drums or tighten up mixes
New gate timing algorithms ensure the smoothest release characteristics
Program-adaptive expander/gates
Great sounding dynamics control for any type of program material
Separate precision LED displays for gain reduction, compression threshold and gate threshold allow quick, accurate setup
Stereo or dual-mode operation
Balanced inputs and outputs on 1/4" TRS and XLR
Side Chain insert
Classic dbx® "Auto" mode

£100 with £5 shipping, kettle plug included.

Cheers,

Dan

[email protected] Edited by Dan_Nailed

Excellent compressor!!! I really wanted to find one of these at this price before I got my rack. Defintely in my top 5
compressors! Any with a side chain filter (or Contour as it is known on this one) is a massive plus for bass compression.

Have a bump on me!

[quote name='steve-soar' post='224764' date='Jun 23 2008, 09:51 AM']How so? I've forgotten the reason from your older posts, so tell me again. :)[/quote]

Well a compressor works on detecting peaks in signal, and then reducing that signal. However, low frequencies especially in bass guitar usage are prominent and contain more energy than the high frequencies. Hence the low frequencies will trigger the compressor and squish the signal, but with the Contour button, the compresor ignores the low frequencies and hence all the information that is happening down there. This cleans up your low end and allows you to really work the compressor on the highs, which is what gets rid of finger noise and other such stuff.

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='225100' date='Jun 23 2008, 03:41 PM']Well a compressor works on detecting peaks in signal, and then reducing that signal. However, low frequencies especially in bass guitar usage are prominent and contain more energy than the high frequencies. Hence the low frequencies will trigger the compressor and squish the signal, but with the Contour button, the compresor ignores the low frequencies and hence all the information that is happening down there. This cleans up your low end and allows you to really work the compressor on the highs, which is what gets rid of finger noise and other such stuff.[/quote]

Hell yar!

Also stops pumping and compressor breathing.. and those annoying attack artifacts you get on bass notes under heavy compression.

• 1 month later...