Why become a member? ×

has anybody built their own rack preamp ?

ahpook

just mooching round the 'net i found [url="http://www.albertkreuzer.com/preamp.htm"]this[/url] again, something i stumbled across a while ago.

in my quest to get rid of the 'annoying fan' situation i've just scored a cheap [i]silent[/i] power amp from ebay and i thought i might try to cook up my own pre to go with it.

anyone ever tried this ? know of any good schematics ?

Hi a friend of mine sent me this a while ago.http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php?cPath=103&products_id=1033
I am interested in doing something similar myself and was planning to do it all valve based on the front end of the mesa bass 400 but minus the graphic eq. I'm still looking into sourcing all the components but the total so far come to about sixy quid and theres still stuff to consider.It'll probably end up in a head using an omp power amp module. And then a cab to match.
I'd interested to see if anyone else out there is putting together their own amp.
Were you thinking of using valve or transistor? If your into valves then check out diytube website theres some good advice to be had. Also look at shematic heaven, loads of stuff on there.
Cheers Just

Edited by Subthumper

[quote name='ahpook' post='224507' date='Jun 22 2008, 10:02 PM']just mooching round the 'net i found [url="http://www.albertkreuzer.com/preamp.htm"]this[/url] again, something i stumbled across a while ago.

in my quest to get rid of the 'annoying fan' situation i've just scored a cheap [i]silent[/i] power amp from ebay and i thought i might try to cook up my own pre to go with it.

anyone ever tried this ? know of any good schematics ?[/quote]

Hi ahpook, I found this link too and thought "mmm, that looks like it might sound ok" and as I was looking for something simpler and "cleaner" than my bass pod pro I've had a guy I found on ebay make me up a PCB for one of these. I've ordered most of the components up but haven't got around to building it yet, especially as an impulse buy of a Tech21 Sansamp BDI (which I can heartily recommend)sort of makes it redundant now :)
I'll see if I can finish it off soon and I'll post a mini-review.

I'm at work at the moment, but I sort of collect schematics and I'll have a root around to see if there's any others when I get home.
Though I assume that this was probably the most likely candidate as I started building it!

Cheers
Steve

[quote name='Subthumper' post='224529' date='Jun 22 2008, 10:21 PM']Hi a friend of mine sent me this a while ago.http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php?cPath=103&products_id=1033[/quote]

Seems a lot of money for a handfull of components! At least it looks like few components from the photo.

Some time around 10 years ago or so, I built a tube preamp with the help of Craig Anderton's book "Projects for guitarists". He has a very nice schematic there for a tube preamp, very clear and lots of info, plus you can easily modify it by reading also the rest of the schemes of the book and adding new sections to the schematic or customizing the ones already present on it. The book is 100% worth.

One of the weirdest charasteristics of his tube preamp schematic is that it uses a "bridge of diodes" to rectify voltage up to around 45 volts to feed the tube without the need of a bulky and heavy power supply unit. While this is not the common operational voltage for a valve (they usually work with much higher voltages) Craig says this lower-than-average-voltage design saves weight, space, and more important: It forces the valve on his preamp to overdrive earlier and to boost the even harmonics characteristically coming out of valve gear. His aim was to provide a valve preamp that sounds "more tuby than the tubes", I hope you can get what Im saying cos english is not my first language and the electrophysics of sound are hard to explain without images.

I donno what happened to this preamp since I made it for a friend in need and havent seen him for years now, but if I remember right, it had a very warm sound.

[quote name='Fraktal' post='224982' date='Jun 23 2008, 01:19 PM']...
One of the weirdest charasteristics of his tube preamp schematic is that it uses a "bridge of diodes" to rectify voltage up to around 45 volts to feed the tube without the need of a bulky and heavy power supply unit. While this is not the common operational voltage for a valve (they usually work with much higher voltages) Craig says this lower-than-average-voltage design saves weight, space, and more important: It forces the valve on his preamp to overdrive earlier and to boost the even harmonics characteristically coming out of valve gear. His aim was to provide a valve preamp that sounds "more tuby than the tubes"...[/quote]

I think this is the successor here:

[url="http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9210K&cat=14"]PAIA stack-in-a-box[/url]