Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Insurance.

SevenSeas

Dear Bass Chat,

I recently brought a new double bass and would like to get the instrument insured by a good insurer, one that will fully pay up if anything happens to go wrong.

Allianz seems to have a good reputation, I have been on the Musicians Union before and that is great to have if you're insuring less than £2000 worth of equipment.

As my bass exceeds this by quite a way it's no good. (Also added on to the fact that having a separate and much secure insurance policy for my bass seems a better idea)

I have a few questions which I am stumbling on;

1. Working out the value of the instrument?

How to I honestly estimate the value of my instrument for example the Contrabass shop is selling similar bass for 8.5k (but they have their commission on the instrument) and I know the price I brought the bass for but if I was to put the amount I paid for the bass, as my insurance quote I know I would lose out. I got a very good deal on the bass without paying all the extras of shipping, shop commission etc, (but that is another long story) therefore I would value the bass for more than what I brought it for, also because I have had additional work been done on the bass by Martin Penning I suppose this would increase the value?

Maybe I can get a luthier to tell me (probably Martin) how much he would value the instrument at?

The three policies;
Cover restricted to your premise. (no good for me as I am more worried about the bass during transit (buses, trains, tubes, etc)
Worldwide (excluding losses from an unattended vehicle)
Worldwide (including losses from an unattended vehicle)

Now originally I would straight away sign for including losses in an unattended vehicle but at the moment;
1. I don't drive. (take public transport)
2. If I was sharing a car/van with the band, no one has ever left the vehicle unattended with all the equipment in it and I have yet been in a situation where I have had to leave the vehicle I would take my bass with me.

(So I'm guessing if the insurance is much cheaper excluding an unattended vehicle seems better) (for my current situation)

Also another opinion (someone I know.. who I think is wrong but better check) they seem to think that the insurance policy wouldn't pay out fully when making a claim? (if it was stolen for example)

If anyone has any good suggestions other than Allianz let me know although they seem to be quite popular.

Cheers,

A lot of the squeezebox players I know (including me) use these guys [url="http://www.newmooninsurance.com/musical/index.php"]http://www.newmooninsurance.com/musical/index.php[/url]

A concertina or a melodeon is hell of a lot more nickable than a double bass and no one seems to have had any issues either with the policies or getting paid in the event of loss (me included, £1700 when a concertina went walkabout :( )

Steve

I've used British reserve, ( now Allianz and Cornhill) for years. Both my Basses and all accessories, world wide cover and covered if stolen from a vehicle for less than £100 a year. One claim made for total loss of a Bass a couple of years ago, settled in full, no arguments and no increase in premium the following year!.
You'll need a written valuation from a luthier in order to get cover.

Edited by mart3442

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1382780131' post='2256441']A lot of the squeezebox players I know (including me) use these guys [url="http://www.newmooninsurance.com/musical/index.php"]http://www.newmoonin...sical/index.php[/url][/quote]

I came to New Moon through Basschat. I've not made a claim but if you give them a call they are really helpful. I had issues around values and ownership that Musicguard couldn't answer. I get the impression this lot would be more likely to payout as the advice I got was sensible and realistic.

Anyone had any issues with the requirement in most policies for gear to be transported in hard cases? Just bought a hard shell case for my EUB to comply. Makes good sense anyway.
I also want to insure my Phil Jones rig and pa but the same hard case stipulation applies. Not sure how many non pros transport cabs in, effectively flight cases, unless I'm missing something . My Rocksolid covers seem to do the job pretty well, but don't comply.